TRIO Upward Bound
The Pace University TRIO Upward Bound Program is a college preparatory program designed to motivate and prepare students for the pursuit of a four-year college education. The goal of the program is to increase the rate at which low-income and first-generation high school students enroll in and graduate from a college or university with a bachelor's degree. The TRIO Upward Bound program provides high school students with academic and cultural enrichment resources. Access to these resources aid students to graduate from high school and increase the rate at which low income and first-generation college students enroll and graduate from post-secondary institutions. Funded by the U. S. Department of Education, the Upward Bound program was established at Pace University in 1996.
Students are eligible to apply for the Pace University TRIO Upward Bound Program if they:
- Live and/or attend one of the following high school in Brooklyn, NY: 1). Brooklyn Preparatory, 2). Clara Barton, 3). Cobble Hill, 4). Westinghouse
- Are a first-generation college-bound student (neither parent having a bachelor’s degree) OR meet federal TRIO programs low-income levels
- Are citizens or permanent residents of the United States
- Are committed to the program (through senior year)
- Are in need of academic support
- Are in grades 9 or 10 at the time of selection
Upward Bound provides intensive, year-round academic and enrichment services. The program includes a Saturday program during the academic year and a six-week summer program. Participants must be able to participate in both programs. Services include:
- One-to-one academic advising/counseling
- In-person, afterschool tutors
- SAT and ACT test fee waivers and classes
- Campus visits and presentations
- Cultural enrichment activities
- Assistance with the college admission process and financial aid application
- Financial literacy
- Instruction in Mathematics, Science, History, English, and other subjects
- Standardized Test Prep
To apply for the Pace University TRIO Upward Bound program, please download and complete the application below.
Students can apply in the fall to start during the school year, or in the late spring to start in the summer.