GenCyber: Cybersecurity Workshop for High School Teachers
WHEN: July 12–July 20, 2018
WHERE: Pace University—Pleasantville, NY
The workshop will introduce cybersecurity concepts as well as resources and methods to facilitate integration of the cybersecurity material into the high school curricula or after-school activities. By the end of the workshop, each participant will develop at least two lesson plans that integrate cybersecurity concepts into their curricula or after-school activities.
There is NO COST to apply for this program, and participants will receive a flat-rate stipend.
- Provide a professional development opportunity for high school teachers to become familiar with fundamental concepts and diverse topic areas in cybersecurity, as well as with cybersecurity education and career opportunities.
- Provide an opportunity for high school teachers to develop new courses and activities to attract high school students to cybersecurity
- Establish and nurture a community of high school teachers that can serve as effective mentors and advisors to students interested in the field, and thus build a pipeline for high school students into cybersecurity programs.
Fundamental Concepts and Topic Areas
- Cover the following: cybersecurity basic concepts; first principles; cryptography; web security; access control; and cybersecurity analytics.
Academic and Career Paths
- Educate about the various academic and career paths in cybersecurity.
Tools and Resources
- Introduce various tools and resources for teaching cybersecurity to high school students.
Lesson / Activity Design
- Each participant will design lesson plans and/or activities based on what would integrate best into their curricula or after-school activities.
Each participant will receive a flat-rate stipend of $1,250 at the end of the workshop to cover the cost of transportation and other expenses related to attending the workshop. Participants must attend all workshop sessions and complete all activities to be eligible for the stipend.
On campus lodging will be provided free of charge for up to 12 participants who do not live within commuting distance.
The workshop will provide breakfast and lunch for all participants.
The workshop is open to all full-time high-school teachers, preferably teaching in the science, technology, engineering, and math disciplines.
Participants are required to:
- Complete all workshop sessions
- Develop lesson plans that integrate cybersecurity concepts into their curricula or after-school activities
- Commit to engage their students in the cybersecurity-related lessons/activities developed during the workshop
What the Pace GenCyber Alumni are saying:
Claire Sargo, Computer Science Teacher
Mount de Sales Academy, Catonsville, MD
Application deadline: Friday, May 11, 2018
Workshop Dates: July 12 - July 20, 2018 with a weekend break on Saturday, July 14 and Sunday, July 15.
Workshop Daily Schedule: 8:30am – 4:30pm
Email us at email@example.com with any questions
Andreea Cotoranu, Assistant Dean for Academic Innovation
Seidenberg School of Computer Science and Information Systems
firstname.lastname@example.org | (914) 773 - 3193
Frequently Asked Questions