Advisors are the unsung heroes of student-run organizations. The Student Engagement team encourages advisors to play an active role in their respective student-run organization, and the personal and professional development of its members. A student-run organization should expect the following from their advisor:
- Meet with and/or consult the executive board on a regular basis;
- Provide guidance to individual members, helping them to understand their leadership roles;
- Assist in setting realistic goals related to the organization’s mission;
- Provide continuity for the organization from year-to-year;
- Become familiar with University policies and procedures, serving as a resource for students; and
- Attend workshops and training through Student Engagement as necessary.
All current advisors must complete the Student Organization Advisor Agreement Form (PDF) once per academic year (or when an advisement change takes place).
Resources for Advisors
Looking for more information? If you are interested in serving as a student-run organization advisor, please email the Student Engagement team or call at (914) 773- 3767.
Be sure to use the Student Organization Advising Manual (PDF) as a guide when helping student-run organizations. This manual outlines responsibilities of advisors and policies and procedures that all student-run organizations must follow. It is your go-to guide for any advising-related questions.