Health & Safety
Pace Education Abroad prioritizes the health and safety of our students, faculty, and staff. Studying and traveling abroad requires many of the same health and safety precautions that one would take in the U.S.A. However, participants need to be aware of additional risks that may be unique to traveling abroad and living in a particular country or region.
Pace Education Abroad monitors international security and maintains regular communication with in-country faculty leaders, partner institutions, and program providers. In the event of an emergency, Pace will work swiftly to identify the location of program participants and immediately initiate communication with the necessary parties, taking action as the situation warrants.
Mandatory Pre-departure Orientation
All Pace students going abroad — whether on a faculty-led program, a short program, or a semester program — are required to attend a pre-departure orientation held at Pace. The orientation is conducted by staff from Pace Education Abroad and Safety. It stresses health and safety abroad, as well as cultural adjustment, insurance, student identity, and other topics. (It also covers Pace academic policies and procedures such as enrollment and credits.)
Get the PACE SAFE App!
Download the free PACE SAFE app. There's a feature on the app that's dedicated to travel abroad, where you can:
- find the protocol for contacting Pace University should you have an incident to report and need help
- obtain travel tips and info on traveler's health
- get alerts and travel advisories (including weather advisories)
- enroll in the U.S. State Department's Smart Traveller Program (STEP)
- access Mobile Passport (for easy re-entry back to the USA)
How to find it:
- download the free "PACE SAFE" app
- sign in
- from the main menu, go to "Safety Toolbox", then chose "Travel Safe"
- access the features!
For Students — In Case of Emergency While Studying Abroad:
- First contact the on-site Resident Director, other in-country program staff, or Pace Faculty (for Faculty-Led Programs abroad). These people are all in-country and will be best able to assist you at the moment of need.
- If you cannot reach the in-country support staff, call the Education Abroad Department at Pace if it's during normal office hours (M-F 9:00 am -5:00 pm): +1 (212) 346-1368.
- Outside of normal office hours, always call Pace Security first (and you will be re-routed to Education Abroad or other Pace University staff): +1 (212) 346-1800.
- Contact the U.S. Embassy or Consulate in the country you're visiting.