main navigation
my pace
Study Abroad

Parents & Family

Dear Family,

Thank you for supporting your student's desire to study abroad. A study abroad experience is closely linked to higher grade point averages, graduating on-time, and is key to career development as companies seek employees with intercultural communication skills.

Study abroad programs have a variety of different financial models and time commitments. Pace Abroad is committed to high academic standards and your student will work with a study abroad advisor as well as their academic advisor to ensure their study abroad program is the right fit personally and academically.

In addition, Pace Abroad believes studying abroad should provide participants with a significant cultural experience. Whether it is through a homestay, an in-country internship or other planned cultural and social activities, your student will be given an opportunity to interact with the peoples and cultures of their host country.

The Pace Abroad team will work with each participant to ensure their individual needs and concerns are addressed before, during and after their learning abroad experience. Whatever type of program your family member or friend has chosen, we hope this information helps you understand their unique experience and helps you provide the support at home that your participant needs to enjoy a rich and profound experience abroad.

Please reach out to us with questions or concerns, big or small, regarding your student's study abroad experience:

TIPS to Support Your Student

  • RESEARCH the country and host school your student wishes to attend.
  • VISIT THE FINANCIAL AID OFFICE. Your student will meet with a Study Abroad Coordinator to discuss budget including tuition, fees, books, housing, meals and airfare. Additional expenses may include passport, visa, housing deposits and personal expenses. Students should meet with the financial aid office to determine what is applicable towards their semester abroad.
  • MEET WITH THE STUDY ABROAD COORDINATOR. Appointments available during walkin hours, and by appointment. Student must schedule appointment.
  • ATTEND THE PRE-DEPARTURE SESSION. The Pre-departure session includes information regarding registration, money, health, safety, culture shock, etc. Pre-departure sessions are held once a semester for departing students and their parents. Contact the study abroad office for dates and times.
  • CONTACT YOUR BANK AND/OR CREDIT CARD COMPANY. Students must notify their bank and/or credit card company while they will be abroad. If your bank has not been notified and they notice international charges, they may freeze the account for your safety. You should also ask your bank about fees that your student will incur for withdrawing money abroad and/or using his/her credit card. These fees vary from bank to bank. Some banks may have sister banks abroad that you can use without a fee.
  • ASK YOUR CURRENT CELL PHONE PROVIDER what options are available. Some cell phone providers may offer international plans, however in many cases students choose to turn off their data and use their smart phones in locations where Wi-Fi is available.
  • BECOME FAMILIAR WITH SKYPE, FACE TIME and communication apps. Many families rely on Skype to communicate with their student abroad. If you have a smart phone there are also apps (WhatsApp, FaceTime, etc.) available that will allow you to text or video chat with your student.
  • CONSIDER SOCIAL MEDIA. Facebook and similar social media sites allow families to follow their students' adventures abroad, seeing the places they are visiting, their photos and in some cases even chatting with them. With the increasing availability of Wi-Fi in many locations, social media has allowed families a way to maintain contact.
  • HAVE YOUR STUDENT REGISTER WITH STEP. The Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) is a free service to allow U.S. citizens and nationals traveling abroad to enroll their trip with the nearest U.S. Embassy or Consulate.
  • OBTAIN A PASSPORT. In case of an emergency it is recommended that a parent/ guardian have a passport. Visit the U.S. Department of State website for details.