main navigation
my pace
Study Abroad

Passport & Visas

PASSPORTS: All students need a passport valid for at least 6 months after the end date of the study abroad program. If you do not have a valid passport, apply for or renew your passport as soon as possible. A passport is required for both departure from and re-entry to the United States. Visit the U.S. Department of State website for more information on obtaining a passport. Keep your passport in a safe place and do not carry it with you on a daily basis; carry a photocopy instead.

VISAS: There are different types of visa requirements depending on your destination, your country of origin, purpose of travel, length of stay, etc. Most long-term study abroad programs require a visa. It is important to contact the embassy or consulate of your host country to inquire about specific visa requirements.Visas may take months to be issued, allow ample time for this. Remember no visa = no study abroad program! 

NAFSA: Association of International Education – Visa Guide

International students or students without U.S. citizenship MUST contact International Students & Scholars to inquire about participation in a study abroad experience. Failure to do so may result in denial of re-entry to the U.S. Students should also contact the appropriate host country embassy or consulate to determine any special requirements as a result of the student’s country of residence.