Working With Marketing And Communications
For new communications and/or marketing materials that will be widely distributed that include logos, imagery, and/or branded messaging, please contact University Relations for consultation, review, and/or approval. Please note, University Relations has the authority to request revisions in order to uphold the University's brand standards and guidelines (PDF).
- For new projects or revisions, discuss the proposed project or project update with your account partner or submit a project initiation request form (PDF) to your account partner and firstname.lastname@example.org. If you’re not sure who to speak with, email Wendy Metzger.
- If you are creating a new project, complete and submit a creative brief (PDF) along with the project initiation request form.
- If you are updating or revising an older project, include the prior job number with your request. A project initiation request form is still needed.
- For new projects, please provide copy in an editable Word document along with images you’d like to use and ideas you have for design.
- Our editorial team will work with provided copy, create new copy, copy edit, and/or proofread as needed.
- If we are printing the piece for you, please include the quantity you would like printed.
- We will work with outside vendors to get estimates for the project. UR will provide the vendor estimate(s) to you. You must then provide us with a Purchase Order confirmation so that we can release the job to print
- Note: Projects estimated to cost between $5,000 and $15,000 require two quotes; projects between $15,000 and $50,000 require three quotes and a sealed bid. Anything over $50,000 requires an RFP.
- We will create a production schedule for the project which will include three rounds of proofs.
- Printed projects require a minimum of six weeks total production time.
- Projects submitted for approval purposes only may take between one and three weeks, depending on the complexity of the project.
- If you are in need of a photographer, please complete a project initiation request form outlining the date, time, and details of the event/or desired photo shoot.
University Relations is responsible for:
- Consulting on design, content, production, and distribution.
- Suggesting ideas for you to communicate effectively and concisely with target audience(s).
- Editing copy to ensure readability and conformity with University style
- Developing format and design specifications to meet budget requirements.
- Providing, if budgets allow, new photos, illustrations, advanced designs, and writing services.
- Advising on copyright or reprint permission for certain text, logos, or photos.
- Providing estimate(s) for the cost of project.
- Sending periodic project updates via email.
- Ensuring that project requirements have been met.
You are responsible for:
- Having an understanding of and appropriately communicating the project’s scope, style, tone, purpose, message, audience, and other key parameters.
- Being your department’s point person for approvals: comments or approval given to University Relations should be a compilation of all the people who need to see/approve a document.
- Providing comparable samples of projects, if available, for reference.
- Obtaining additional information and final approvals in a timely fashion.
- Providing complete and accurate materials at the start of the project.
- Submitting text via a Word document (not handwritten, not an image, not a PDF), or scanning and marking up an old copy for revisions.
- Submitting any other relevant items, such as photos, illustrations, charts, and graphs in agreed upon formats.
- Issuing timely, signed approvals for all copy, artwork, design layout.
- Proofreading the project throughout all phases.
- Having sufficient funds to cover project costs.