Why Branding Matters
Great brands create a culture, one in which people recognize themselves and gain a sense of belonging to something bigger.
Specifically, a brand is:
- A promise that creates an expectation we must deliver on.
- A claim of distinction.
- Unchanging. Over time, products, services, and offerings will come and go, but the essence of the brand remains constant.
- The focal point that defines how we deliver value and effectively embodies our mission.
- The Pace brand is a reflection of who we are. Everything we do and say, from marketing materials to social posts to personal interactions, creates an impression of Pace’s energy, spirit, and character.
As brand ambassadors, it’s up to us to present a unified front in the form of a cohesive and consistent brand message.
Incorporating the brand strategy and messaging platform into all communications to all audiences, across all channels, will enhance the impact of our communication and marketing efforts. Whether it’s attracting new students, engaging current students, or motivating alumni and donors, it’s up to each of us to embrace these guidelines to realize the success of our branding.
One of the essential components to effective written communication is a universal editorial style. Pace University’s editorial style is what gives Pace a cohesive and uniform voice across the entirety of the Pace brand—from brochures to bumper stickers and from websites to formal invitations. This guide addresses common style and spelling issues, word usage, and approved abbreviations and punctuation style.
Pace University follows The Chicago Manual of Style and Merriam-Webster’s Collegiate Dictionary. Merriam-Webster’s Dictionary of English Usage provides authoritative answers on grammar and word usage.
- Editorial Style Standards (PDF) - print and digital
Social Media Style
Social media is a constantly evolving channel of communication that provides many opportunities to connect with people in ways no other medium can. With a good game plan and creative approach, having a presence in social media can prove to be invaluable. Pace University’s social media style guide will ensure your social content is presented clearly, effectively, and succinctly.
The Pace University website communicates to a global audience the mission, image, identity, and values of the institution; the talent of the University community; and the breadth of our institutional resources, programs, and services. While faculty, staff, and students are encouraged to publish freely, it is important that the information about Pace University is conveyed accurately and consistently with other University communications. This guide will assist you in creating webpages that support the University’s overall brand.
- Web Style Guide (PDF): All official Pace University webpages must adhere to the guidelines for images, colors and fonts.