Adolescent Education, BS/Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages (TESOL), MSEd
New York City
Two Degrees + Two Certifications in Just Five Years
The combined degree program offers the opportunity to earn both a bachelor’s degree and a master’s degree, and a minimum of two teaching certificates in just five years. Make a seamless transition from undergraduate to graduate work in less time than students who begin the graduate program after earning a bachelor's degree, and satisfy the New York State requirement to teach in-state.
Be Ahead of the Class
- Practice real teaching using our virtual reality classroom simulator. Did you know that Pace is one of the only schools in the region with this technology?
- Our teachers enter the field with experience. From your sophomore year, you’ll participate in immersive fieldwork and student teaching experience that include tutoring and small group instruction.
- Get hired. We have strong partnerships with local school districts and our our students are getting hired before they even graduate.
Take Courses Like…
In the combined degree program, the Bachelor of Science and Master of Science in Education are earned concurrently. In the fifth year of the program, you will work towards your graduate degree and become certified in English to Speakers of Other Languages (ESOL) K-12.
- ED 551: Foundations of Bilingual Education
- ED 556A: Teaching English Language and Literacy to Culturally and Linguistically Diverse Students
- ED 557: Linguistics and Grammar for Language Teachers
Opportunities and Experiences
Because experience is key, starting in your junior year, you will participate in our Center for Professional Development (CPD) model where you will practice your teaching skills through the completion of your undergraduate program. Receive hands-on experience in schools one day a week in your junior year and between two and five days during your senior year. You’ll observe and tutor students, as well as provide small and eventually whole group instruction. Not only will you be able to apply what you are learning in the classroom, but also have the opportunity to explore different grade levels as you proceed through the program. As a CPD candidate, you have a unique opportunity to foster professional relationships with mentor teachers, students, and school staff, all in support of the diverse population of the students that you are serving.
Choose Your Career
Upon successfully completing the program, you will receive your Initial Certification in adolescent education (grades 7–12) and English Speakers of Other Languages (grades K-12).
Where Graduates are Employed
School of Education graduates are employed by the NYC Department of Education, Westchester and Long Island School Districts, and more!
of our graduates are employed or continuing their education
secondary education master’s degree schools in the US
(Source: College Factual)
special education job placement