New York State law requires that the Office of School Personnel Review and Accountability conduct fingerprint-supported criminal history background checks for applicants for certification and all prospective employees of school districts, charter schools, and BOCES.
Note: Set up your TEACH account prior to getting fingerprinted so that your fingerprint clearance has a place to get reported to! Fingerprint clearance is required for fieldwork and student teaching placements.
Set up your TEACH ACCOUNT (do this first) and get FINGERPRINTED IMMEDIATELY. All teacher candidates must be fingerprinted before going into public schools. This is your responsibility to take care of as soon as you’re admitted to the SOE.
NYSED only accepts fingerprint clearance from IdentoGO.
- Click on “GET FINGERPRINTED”
- Search for the closest location by zip code
- You must pre-register. You cannot just show up.
- You will be asked for a fingerprint code: 14ZGQT
Note: If you have been previously fingerprinted by any agency/police department/company other than the NYC Department of Education (NYC DOE) or the NY State Education Department, NYSED is legally unable to use those fingerprint results to verify your security clearance.
All teacher candidates must have a TEACH account and be fingerprinted before going into public schools.
This is your responsibility to take care of as soon as you’re admitted to the SOE.
STEP #1: Set up your TEACH account before getting fingerprinted so that your fingerprint clearance has a place to get reported to! Teach is a service developed by New York State to maintain and record all of your information needed for teaching certification. It’s your portal of communication with NYSED.
STEP #2: You must be entered in PETS (NYC) before you are fingerprinted. Email OPI (Office of Personnel Investigations) with the following information:
- State you are a Pace University student ready to conduct fieldwork or student teaching
- Your Full Legal Name
- University Name (Pace University)
- Social Security #
- Date of Birth (MM/DD/YYYY)
- Phone # (XXX-XXX-XXXX)
- Address (including zip code)
- Email address
- Optional: You may enter the school name where you will be doing fieldwork or student teaching. If you do not have this information, you do not have to provide it.
STEP #2 UPDATE: Please be advised that, due to changes resulting from the pandemic, to confirm your identity, you will receive an email from PETS requesting that you submit a scanned image of your signed social security card, college ID with a recent validation sticker, and a validated government-issued ID (Driver’s License/ State ID/NYC ID and/or US Passport) to PETSAdminSupport@schools.nyc.gov. ALL THREE DOCUMENTS ARE REQUIRED. Our contact at the DOE has confirmed that this is, in fact, standard protocol. You must complete this step in order to receive fingerprinting instructions.
STEP #3: You will receive an email from PETS (NYC) within 24 hours. The email will direct you to the Applicant Gateway System. Create an account, complete all required forms and then print the Fingerprint Referral Form.
STEP #4: Once you have completed the online forms in Applicant Gateway, you MUST notify the HR Connect Service Center at HRCServiceCenter@schools.nyc.gov. The HR Connect Service Center will contact you directly with the link to schedule an appointment. DO NOT contact the HR Connect Service Center until you have completed the online forms in Applicant Gateway. Please note all fingerprinting will be done BY APPOINTMENT ONLY. Remember to take your Fingerprint Referral form, government-issued ID, Pace University Student ID, and payment of $135. Acceptable forms of payment include Money orders, Personal checks, Credit cards, or debit cards with a logo, NO Amex. HR Connect Center located at 65 Court Street, Room 102, Brooklyn, NY 11201. Hours are Monday through Friday (except for holidays) from 9:00 a.m.–5:00 p.m.
STEP #5 New York City Students: Candidates fingerprinted and cleared by the New York City Board of Education after July 1, 1990, must submit that clearance to the New York State Department of Education using the OSPRA104 form.
- If you have already been fingerprinted by the NYSED (State), you MUST still enter your personal information into PETS and complete Steps 2, 3, and 4. You need to clearly state you are a student previously fingerprinted by NYSED (NY State Education Department) and then the HR Connect representative will assist you to electronically submit an OSPRA 103 form. This will prevent you from paying another fingerprinting fee. The cost of submitting an OSPRA 103 form is $20. Don’t forget to bring your government-issued ID and Pace University Student ID.
- If you have been previously fingerprinted by any agency/police department/company other than the NYC Department of Education (NYC DOE) or the NY State Education Department, the NYC DOE is legally unable to use those fingerprint results to verify your security clearance.
You will be informed by email when you have clearance to enter schools. You may not begin your placement assignment and/or enter schools until you have received the email clearance.
Questions regarding PETS Registration?
Director of School Partnerships
School of Education
163 William Street, 11th Floor
New York, NY 10038
Phone: (201) 341-1990
Verify Fingerprint Status
ALL Students - Verify that Fingerprints have been received on TEACH (2 weeks after you have been fingerprinted).