Student working on her computer.

Teaching in Other States

Interstate Reciprocity

According to the New York State Education Department (NYSED), “NY State has interstate contracts with more than 30 other states and jurisdictions for classroom teaching certificates.” Those wishing to teach in states other than New York should check with that state’s education department for information on each state's reciprocity agreement with NY, as well as any additional courses or exams required by that state. The Director of Certification is not familiar with the requirements/regulations in the other 49 states.

Back To Top

Out-of-State Verification Forms

Pace University graduates seeking employment as teachers in states other than New York should:

  1. Completely fill out any parts of the out-of-state verification form(s) that apply to them (Name/address/SSN..). Forms will be sent back that are missing this information.
  2. Include a copy of your transcript and any other supporting document(s) (if available).
  3. Send the form(s) via email attachment to Linda Guyette, Director for Certification Services, at in the School of Education for signature and University seal. Please allow up to 3 business days for processing.

Back To Top

If You Are a Teacher With Certification in Another State

Teachers holding valid certification in other states may apply to NYSED for the issuance of a Conditional certificate in the State of New York through Interstate Reciprocity, provided the subject area and grade level are comparable to a NYS certificate. In addition to possessing a valid certificate from another state, New York requires the completion of an approved teacher education program that is comparable to New York State requirements or three years of satisfactory teaching experience within the previous seven years under a qualifying certificate in a subject area and grade level comparable to a NYS certificate. View more information regarding the acceptability of your state's certificate in New York. The Office of Teaching Initiatives (not Pace University) determines eligibility for certification once an application has been submitted, and a review of your credentials has been completed. The above links will go over the steps required and if you have any questions please contact NYSED.

Back To Top

International Applicants/Students

If you do not have a US Social Security Number, you can send an email to the Office of Teaching Initiatives (OTI) at with “TEACH Access Number” in the subject line to request a nine-digit identifier to use in the creation of your TEACH account, register for the NYSTCE exams, and for fingerprint clearance. The email must include a PDF-formatted copy of either a valid passport or a valid visa. Please note: If you are an F-1 visa holder, you must have a Social Security Number prior to applying for a teacher's certificate. United States Citizenship, USCIS Permanent Residency, Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA) status, or similar relief from deportation is required for Permanent, Professional, or Teaching Assistant Level III Certification.

Back To Top