Awards and Honors
- Association for Education in Journalism and Mass Communication History Division, 2015, Covert Award
- Journalist's Resource, Shorenstein Center on Media, Politics and Public Policy, Harvard University, 2014, top academic paper
Licensures and Certificates
- Pace University, Teaching Effectively Online certification The goal of this certification is to prepare instructors in online pedagogy as well as effectively using the University’s learning management system (Blackboard) and other instructional technologies for teaching online, or as a supplement (blended) to an on-campus face-to-face course.
- European Journalism Centre, Data Driven Journalism MOOC: Doing Journalism With Data: First Steps, Skills and Tools Course covered the essential concepts, techniques and skills needed to effectively work with data and produce compelling data stories under tight deadlines.
PhD, Columbia University, New York, NY, 2014
MPhil, Columbia University, New York, NY, 2012
MBA, Duquesne University, Pittsburgh, PA, 2009
BA, University of Virginia, Charlottesville, VA, 1998
Slavic Languages and Literatures
Research and Creative Works
Data journalism, media sociology
COM 200: Public Speaking
JRN 101: Introduction to News Media
JRN 104: News Reporting
JRN 211: Arts and Enter. Journalism
JRN 238: The Global Newsroom
JRN 244: This Just In: Breaking News
JRN 296: Tpc: This Just in-Brkng News
JRN 297: Topics: Audio Storytelling
JRN 300: The Digital Newsroom
JRN 386: The Art of Anchoring
JRN 499: Digital Storytelling
MCA 115: News Reporting
MCA 280: Audio Storytelling
MCA 313: The Digital Newsroom
MCA 340: Writing for Advertising
MCA 350: Making Media with Drones
MCA 386: The Art of Anchoring
MCA 393: Internship Program I
MCA 398: Making Media with Drones
MCA 495: Digital Storytelling
MCA 499: Sem: Investigative Journalism
MCA 601: Industry Theory and Practice
MCA 602: Writing for Organizations
MCA 610: Communications Research
MCA 645: Media Innovation
MCA 681: Multi-Platform Communications
MCA 693: Internship
UNV 101: First-Year Smnr Unvrsty Cmmnty
Publications and Presentations
Networks within the Competitive Media Environment
Ziek, P. & Fink, K.
Keeping Up with the Technologies: Distressed Journalistic Labor in the Pursuit of “Shiny” Technologies
Min, S. & Fink, K. (2021, September). Journalism Studies.
Freedom of information in college: How student journalists learn to file public records requests
Fink, K. A. (2020). College Media Review. Vol 58
“We Have to Stand Out to Blend In”: Ordinary Transgender People Speak About Being Subjects of News Stories
Fink, K. A. & Palmer, R. (2020). Journalism Studies. Vol 21 (Issue 8) , pages 1109--1126.
Breaking down walls: inter-organizational collaboration in ‘The Trifecta’
Ziek, P. & Fink, K. A. (2019). Media Practice and Education. Vol 20 (Issue 4) , pages 378--389.
Framing Pier 55: negotiated resilience and contested waterfronts
Fink, K. A., Finewood, M. H. & Molnar, L. (2019). Journal of Environmental Studies and Sciences. Vol 9 (Issue 3) , pages 364--370.
Freedom of Information in Community Journalism
Fink, K. A. (2019). Community Journalism. Vol 7 (Issue 1) , pages 17--37.
The biggest challenge facing journalism: A lack of trust
Fink, K. A. (2019). Journalism. Vol 20 (Issue 1) , pages 40--43.
Data Journalism in the United States: Beyond the “Usual Suspects”
Fink, K. A. & Anderson, C. (2014). Journalism Studies. https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.1080/1461670X.2014.939852#.VQeZNEYVuI0
Book Review: Rosalind Coward, Speaking Personally: the Rise of Subjective and Confessional Journalism
Fink, K. A. Vol 37 (Issue 3) https://journals.sagepub.com/home/mcs
The Rise of Contextual Journalism, 1950s–2000s
Fink, K. A. & Schudson, M. (2014, January (1st Quarter/Winter)). Journalism: Theory, Practice & Criticism. Vol 15 (Issue 1) , pages 3-20. https://journals.sagepub.com/doi/pdf/10.1177/1464884913479015
A Franchise Model for Hyperlocal News
Fink, K. & Pantic, M. (2020). ICA,
Public Records and Private Interests
Fink, K. A. (2015, March 21). Joint Journalism and Communication History Conference. American Journalism Historians Association and the History Division of the Association for Education in Journalism and Mass Communication,
Professional Contributions and Service
- Association for Education in Journalism and Mass Communication
- International Communication Association