Latin American Studies, BA
New York City
Broaden Your Knowledge Base
Get a degree that truly expands your career options. Our BA in Latin American Studies is a multi-disciplinary program built on a foundation of culture, society, cinema, economic development, and politics that will bring history, economics, modern languages, art, anthropology, and environmental studies to life.
A multi-disciplinary program
- Built on a foundation of cross-disciplinary learning communities focused on themes of culture, society, cinema, economic development, and politics.
- A major strengthened by required courses yet flexible enough to offer students a multitude of choices in each theme area.
- Innovative aspects include interdisciplinary teaching, travel and cultural courses, internships, and civic engagement.
Take Courses Like…
The BA in Latin American Studies incorporates courses in history, economics, modern languages, art, anthropology and environmental studies. Travel and cultural courses involving a unique network of partnerships with consulates, museums, and other institutions will provide students with a rich tapestry of connections and experiences that can lead to further education and career opportunities.
- LAS 101 The Other "America": Introduction to Latin American Studies
- HIS 134 Modern Latin America
- SPA 319 Masterpieces of Spanish American Literature I
Add Opportunities and Experiences
The BA in Latin American Studies program works closely with diplomatic, cultural, and trade organizations to offer an exciting array of internship options, including courses that offer a public service internship in a New York agency working on Latin American or Caribbean questions.
It allows students to use New York’s status as a center of Latin culture, business, and economy to career-building advantages. Students may double major in select programs, an option that permits sharing of 21 credits, thereby making degree completion possible in a relatively short period. Students who elect this option will find favor with prestigious employers and graduate schools.
The program offers a unique network of partnerships with consulates, museums, and businesses that provide enriching opportunities, such as field trips and guest lectures.
Choose Your Career
Where Graduates are Employed
Through challenging courses, hands-on learning, and cultural events, our diverse program prepares you for a career in a wide range of exciting fields or for graduate study.