Modern Languages and Cultures, BA
New York City
Cross Linguistic Borders
Are you looking to become a more educated citizen of the world, with a degree that will enable you to cross linguistic, cultural, and literary borders? Our BA in Modern Languages and Cultures will enable you to acquire linguistic, cultural, and literary skills in one or two foreign languages. Instead of a second language, you may choose from among four interdisciplinary area studies tracks.
- At Pace, learning extends beyond the classroom. Our dedicated professors are often working professionals who bring their expertise to Pace students. With the melting pot of the Big Apple as your backdrop, you can achieve anything.
- A comprehensive program leading to linguistic and cultural fluency in one of the following languages: French, Italian, Russian, or Spanish.
- Our faculty provides students with the opportunities to participate in independent research and service learning, as well as aid them in future career decisions. A number of courses are offered online.
Take Courses Like…
Major language options include: French, Spanish, Italian, and Russian. Take advanced courses in areas such as literature, culture, and film, as well as upper-level skills courses in speaking, writing, grammar, translation, and foreign language for business.
A capstone senior seminar is conducted in English and the languages in which the students have studied. Students will partake in an extensive research project, presentations, and discussions in which they will examine the common and contrasting professional and cross-cultural aspects of the languages they have studied.
- SPA 347 The Culture of Mexico
- RUS 304 Russian Translation and Interpretation
- DYS 499B Senior Year Experience in Modern Languages and Cultures
Add Opportunities and Experiences
You will have the opportunity to participate in a wide variety of cultural and intellectual organizations including CIAO (Italian Club), Dyson Society of Fellows, The Spanish Club, and honor societies including Phi Sigma Iota (Foreign Languages), Pi Delta Phi (French), and Gamma Kappa Alpha (Italian).
We strongly encourage students to take advantage of enriching travel experiences. Study abroad programs can last for a week, a semester, a summer, or even a full year. We also offer cultural and travel courses that culminate in a ten-day, in-country immersion trip during the spring and winter breaks.
The department organizes many events and cultural activities throughout the year, including International Poetry Day; International Career Panels; film festivals; French, Italian and Spanish conversation hours; and excursions to plays and museums. Renowned scholars, playwrights, poets, novelists, and stage and screen directors occasionally visit the department and offer guest lectures.
Small class sizes enable faculty to provide you with individualized instruction and attention. Among our top priorities is teaching in a supportive atmosphere.
“My courses in the Modern Languages Department provided me with the cultural adaptability to interact with people of all backgrounds. I use the skills I gained at Pace to protect US National Security and the integrity of the passport issuance process.” —Brandon J. Macker-Silva ’18
Choose Your Career
This degree will prepare you for graduate school in foreign languages or for employment in international fields such as travel and tourism, media and entertainment, business, translation, diplomacy, teaching, and public service.
Where Graduates are Employed
Recent graduates have found employment with organizations and corporations, including:
- Banca Intesa
- Jet Blue
- J.P. Morgan Chase
- New York Police Department
- U.S. Department of State