New York City
This program is STEM designated, which means you will be trained in areas of technology that are in high demand with United States employers. International students studying in person on student visas will be eligible for an Optional Practical Training (OPT) extension of 24 months, for a total of 36 months.
The Elements for Success
Through our BS in Chemistry, you will be carried far beyond textbook learning to get hands-on experience with modern laboratory instrumentation. With approval by the American Chemical Society, this program provides a unique opportunity to integrate classroom theory with laboratory experience.
Go Beyond the Classroom
- Through prudent selection of elective courses, in consultation with faculty advisors, chemistry majors may choose a specialization in a pre-professional course of study, such as pre-med.
- We offer a unique opportunity to combine classroom theory with practical experience by connecting you with the ability to conduct research alongside faculty, in some cases as early as sophomore year.
- You can expect to conduct work on on-going research projects including biochemical studies of parasitic diseases with a view to developing new antimicrobial agents to combat disease by opportunistic infections of AIDS patients, sexually transmitted diseases and East African sleeping sickness.
Take Courses Like…
Add Opportunities and Experiences
On the Westchester Campus, professors are actively involved in research in the areas of nanotechnology, environmental science, and physical chemistry all conducted in the cutting-edge Dyson Hall of Science.
In New York City, the Chemistry program is continuously adjusted to the current trends in chemistry and physical sciences. The amount of scientific information that has been accumulated from experiments and simulations has led the scientific practice to its fourth paradigm over the last few years. This is data driven science, and it unifies the first three paradigms of theory, experiment, and computation/simulation. Our department was one of the pioneers in embedding computational methods in the traditional chemistry curriculum, and has built a state-of-the-art computational component to our complete and updated laboratory facilities. Recently we started developing a strong data science interface with traditional chemistry. Finally, our program is linked with the award-winning Haskins Laboratory conducting joint research projects involving students, faculty and laboratory staff.
- The Chemistry Club hosts different activities that help students apply chemistry to the real world and with the American Chemical Society (ACS). The ACS is the largest society devoted to a single discipline, consisting of over 160,000 members at all degree-levels and in all fields of chemistry.
- Beta Beta Beta (Tri-Beta), the National Biological Honor Society, was founded in 1922 at Oklahoma City University. The society is “dedicated to improving the understanding and appreciation of biological study and extending boundaries of human knowledge through scientific research.”
- Sigma Xi, the scientific research society, was founded in 1886 at Cornell University. The organization was “designed to reward excellence in scientific research and to encourage a sense of companionship and cooperation among scientists in all fields.”
“The Chemistry Club has made me so obsessed with this discipline that I sought out opportunities outside of Pace and that resulted in four summer research internships during my undergraduate career. These research experiences ultimately led me to apply and get accepted to the University of California-San Diego as a PhD student. I have the Chemistry Club to thank for motivating and continually increasing my love for Chemistry.” —David Gonzales ’21
External Approvals and Accreditations
The Chemistry program on the New York City Campus carries for more than 40 years the approval of the Committee for Professional Training of the American Chemical Society (ACS). Our graduating students with a BS in Chemistry receive the ACS Certification.
Choose Your Career
Upon graduation, our students will possess critical and analytical thinking skills, a creative mindset, scientific and instrumentation competency, and the specialized abilities required to perform proficiently and confidently in today’s world of science. The department of Chemistry and Physical Sciences offers undergraduate degrees certified by the American Chemical Society. A prestigious “seal of approval” by the world’s chemists, this certification establishes Pace among the nation’s foremost universities and colleges in the field of chemical and physical sciences.
Many graduates from the Chemistry program pursue medical school and other science graduate degrees; recent graduates are currently employed at:
- Agilent Technologies