Writing for Diversity and Equity in Theater and Media, BA
New York City
Create Your Own Seat at the Table
The BA in Writing for Diversity and Equity in Theater and Media is an interdisciplinary writing major offering courses and experiences in the Dyson College of Arts and Sciences’ departments of English, Film and Screen Studies, and Performing Arts. You will generate new work continuously, helping you to develop a disciplined, self-regulated writing process, culminating with the creation of a writing portfolio to ready you for the next step into a professional career as a writer in film, television, theater, and media, with a focus on stories promoting diversity, equity, and inclusion.
Breaking Down Barriers
- Cross traditional disciplinary boundaries with courses in a variety of writing and media-related genres that promote authentic dialogue about diversity and embrace the complexity of underlying social and historical issues.
- Introduce yourself to new methods of educating and training that are needed to amplify largely unheard voices and disrupt the traditionally white-centered, heteronormative, and culturally narrow centers of power that control the entertainment industry.
- A two-year fellowship program supports eligible participants in their second and third years, funded by the Andrew W. Mellon Foundation
Take Courses Like...
- PAST 252: History of Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion in American Entertainment
- AMS 200: Introduction to Critical Race Theory and Ethnicity Studies
- PAST 240: Writing Comedy for TV
Pace’s innovative, cutting edge curriculum is academically and experientially compelling and relevant to meet the demands of today’s aspiring artists.
You will participate in a full complement of guest lectures, workshops, and special events by industry leaders that support your professional development.
Opportunities and Experiences
- Internships with artistic and creative organizations that match your career interests in the writing arena.
- Access to Equity and Inclusion Writing Fellowship
- Gain hands-on experience through internships with affiliated nonprofit organizations, helping ensure that you graduate with the skills and experience that translate into meaningful employment in theater and media arts.
Choose Your Career
As a graduate of this major, you will be positioned to start your career as a writer in film, television, theater, and media with a focus on stories promoting diversity, equity, and inclusion.