Academic Accommodation Request Process
In order to request academic accommodations through Student Accessibility Services, we ask that you first:
- Self-identify to SAS by filling out the Student Accessibility Services Registration Form.
- Submit documentation (details about documentation can be found below under “Documentation Requirements") to our office via fax at (914) 989-8047 or email (SASNYC@pace.edu).
- Email our office at SASNYC@pace.edu to schedule an intake screening appointment with SAS. These appointments are about 60 minutes in length and can be conducted over the phone or over Zoom. Please indicate with our front desk staff which you would prefer.
All three components are necessary in the interactive process of requesting academic accommodations. If you have any questions or concerns, please schedule a consultation appointment by calling the office at (212) 346-1199.
Drop-In Hour (M,T, & F)
For student with questions regarding the accommodations process, what the status of their request is, and/or how to implement their accommodations, SAS will be piloting a Drop-In Hour 3 times a week during the Fall semester. Students may come in-person to the SAS office to meet with a staff member at the following times:
- Monday: 12:00 p.m.–1:00 p.m.
- Tuesday: 11:00 a.m.–12:00 p.m.
- Friday: 11:00 a.m.–12:00 p.m.
Students who are unable to attend during those times, or who have specialized questions that may require more than 15 minutes of consultation, are encouraged to email SASNYC@pace.edu to schedule an appointment instead. Please note that students who are needing to complete an intake with an SAS staff member must schedule a separate appointment, and cannot be seen at drop-in hour to conduct their intake.
You must provide SAS with documentation for review. Documentation requirements vary depending on the type of disability. Generally for academic request, SAS will review any documents showing a history of disability (such as an IEP, 504 Plan, or Accommodations Letter from another institution), neuropsychological or neuroeducational testing, and/or letters and other documents from clinicians the student is currently in treatment with.
It is strongly recommended to submit documentation before scheduling an appointment. Documentation can be emailed to the general inbox, SASNYC@pace.edu, or via fax at (914) 989-8047.
If you do not already have documentation of your disability, you may ask your medical provider to complete the Professional Disability Assessment Questionnaire for General Academic Accommodation Requests, found below. Alternatively, the medical provider may submit a letter with the required information.
- Professional Disability Assessment Questionnaire: General Academic Accommodation Requests (PDF)
- Professional Disability Assessment Questionnaire: General Academic Accommodation Requests (DOC)
For housing accommodation requests in specific, it is required that students fully complete the Housing Accommodations Request Packet (HARP). The HARP includes sections both for the student and a clinician they are in treatment with to complete, found below. For more information on the housing accommodations request process, please see further down this page.
- Housing Accommodations Request Packet - 2023-2024 Academic Year (PDF)
- Housing Accommodations Request Packet - Summer 2023 (PDF)
Accommodation Letter and Testing Accommodation Request Forms
Accommodation Letter Request Form
Students who are approved for academic accommodations through SAS must request accommodation letters each semester via the online form. If you are not registered with SAS, you may not submit these forms until after you complete the registration process. SAS strongly recommends that students submit this form within the first two weeks of the semester. If you have already made a letter request for the semester, but need additional letters due to adding and/or dropping a course, please indicate this on the form and fill out the information requested as directed.
Testing Accommodation Request Form (TARF)
Students must submit a Testing Accommodation Request Form (TARF) for EACH exam or quiz they wish to schedule with SAS. It is the student's responsibility to submit the online form to SAS fully completed 10 days prior to the exam date.
Information for Professors
- To ensure all students who make testing accommodation requests are able to take their exams in a timely manner, we ask that you email your exam to Cal Kfoury, the Accommodations Coordinator.
Alternate Format & Electronic Text Request Form
If you have been granted alternate format for textbooks & course materials and require electronic textbooks as part of your accommodations, please use the Alternate Format & Electronic Text Request Form to submit your requests. Please remember that you must the receipts for the purchase or rental of the textbooks/course materials to SAS prior to submitting your request. We also strongly encourage you to email Assistant Director, Sydney Tisch, after completing your form for further follow-up.
Supplemental Accommodation Requests
If you already registered with SAS and have previously been granted academic accommodations but would like to request additional accommodations, please complete the Supplemental Accommodation Request Form (PDF).
Housing Accommodation Request Process
Student Accessibility Services (SAS) encourages timeliness in submitting requests for housing accommodations.
SAS encourages students to apply for housing accommodations as soon as they are able to, and recommends scheduling a screening appointment after submitting their completed request packet.
Determining accommodations is an interactive process between you (the student), SAS and other relevant parties (as determined by SAS) and reviewing your request may take at least 4 to 6 weeks to process once all materials have been submitted. Your request will not be reviewed until the application, personal statement and documentation have been received by the office.
Students requesting a housing accommodation must be eligible to live in university housing, which includes submitting a general housing application and deposit. SAS cannot review housing accommodation requests before a student has completed their housing application and deposit. Please see the housing website for complete information regarding general application and deposit deadlines.
Housing Selection Dates & Building Information
Students with approved medical accommodations will be required to meet with Housing Operations to choose their housing assignment for 2023-2024 and to sign a housing contract.
Approval for an accommodation due to a disability is not designed to provide students with a room selection advantage with respect to building selection. Unless the granted accommodation requires a specific building, students granted medical accommodations will be required to choose a room in a building commensurate with where they would be placed if participating in the main room selection process.
Specific Forms & Procedures
Detailed information is included in each Housing Accommodation Request Packet – please review carefully.
Process for Students Previously Granted Accommodations
For Academic Year 2023-2024
The Student Accessibility Services (SAS) encourages timeliness with student requests for housing accommodations and strongly recommends that students who received housing accommodations at Pace University (either NYC or Westchester) during the 2022-2023 academic year, complete the Previously Granted Housing Accommodations Form by March 15, 2023. Note: Housing selection begins the last week of March for students with medical accommodations. Please view the housing website for complete details and dates.
Process for Students Seeking Accommodations (Not Previously Granted)
For Academic Year 2023-2024
- Returning graduate and undergraduate students are strongly encouraged to submit their housing accommodation request packet at least four to six weeks prior to general housing selection in order to allow time for SAS to process the application.
- Incoming Freshman are strongly encouraged to submit their housing accommodation request packet by July 15, 2023 in order to allow time for SAS to process the application. Please view the housing website for updates.
- Download and complete the Housing and Accommodations Request Packet for New Accommodations (PDF)
For Summer Housing Accommodations for both Pace University Students and Summer Residents (non-Pace students)
- Returning graduate and undergraduate students: March 15, 2023. Note: Housing selection begins the first week of April 2023. Please view the Pace housing website for complete details and dates.
- Transfer/Visiting Students/Residents: Upon admission and acceptance to the university and completion of summer deposit. Please view the housing website for complete details and dates.
- Download and complete the Housing and Accommodations Request Packet for Summer 2023(PDF)
For housing-related questions, please contact:
Patrick Roger Gordon
Asst. Dean/Director of Residence Life
Phone: (212) 346-1295
Medical Meal Plan Waiver
If you are interested in submitting a Medical Meal Plan Waiver for either a partial reduction of or full exemption from the Pace University Meal Plan, your first step is to complete the Medical Meal Plan Form through Auxiliary Services. That form can be found on the Auxiliary Services website.
If you have already completed the Medical Meal Plan Form, your next step is to submit documentation to SAS at SASNYC@pace.edu. This documentation may be in the form of a letter or pages 5-8 of the HARP completed by a clinician who can speak to your medical need. If you have any specific questions regarding documentation or next steps, please reach out to Assistant Director, Sydney Tisch, at firstname.lastname@example.org directly.
For disability-related questions and questions about the accommodation request procedures, please contact:
Student Accessibility Services (SAS)
161 William St, 10th Floor
New York, NY 10038
Phone: (212) 346-1199