PHYSICIAN ASSISTANT PROGRAM – PLEASANTVILLE
All applicants must meet and complete the following requirements by January 15th of the year of planned enrollment, with the exception of the baccalaureate degree requirement. See the Degree Requirements below.
Applications are reviewed and admission decisions for seats in the cohort are filled on a rolling basis during the CASPA cycle, until seats are filled.
All candidates must apply through the Centralized Application Service for Physician Assistants (CASPA)
Degree Requirements : A Baccalaureate degree from an accredited United States or Canadian accredited institution of higher learning, must be completed by June 1st of the year of planned enrollment.
Grade Point Average (GPA) Cumulative GPA's (UGPA) is calculated utilizing ALL college-level courses completed by the applicant.
* 3.0 Minimum Cumulative Undergraduate and Cumulative Science GPA (CSGPA) based on a 4.0 scale is required.* * GPAs less than 3.0 will only be considered if the applicant has completed a graduate degree in either biological or chemical sciences or obtained a Public Health degree, and has successfully completed the coursework.
* If prerequisite coursework was completed more than 7 years from the January 1st of the year of planned enrollment, the GPA from that coursework will not be considered. All coursework more than seven (7) years old may be repeated and the GPA of the repeated coursework will be considered instead.
* Prerequisite courses must have been completed less than seven (7) years from the January 1st of the year of planned enrollment.
* If required coursework was completed more than 7 years ago, both UGPA and SGPA will not be considered.
* All coursework more than seven (7) years old may be repeated and the GPA of the repeated coursework will be considered.
* All grades of required prerequisite coursework must be at least “B -"or greater.
* No more than two prerequisite courses can be retaken, except for coursework more than seven (7) years old. This may be repeated and the GPA of the repeated coursework will be considered instead.
* Mathematics (Pre-calculus or Statistics) (3 credits)
* General Biology + Laboratory (8 credits)
* General Chemistry + Laboratory (8 credits)
* Biochemistry + Laboratory (preferred) or Organic Chemistry + Laboratory (4 credits).
* Microbiology (3 credits)
* Human Anatomy and Physiology I and II with Laboratory (7 credit minimum) or:
* Human Anatomy + Laboratory (4 credits) and
* Human Physiology (3 credits)
Healthcare (patient care) experience
* A minimum of 300 hours of direct patient care experience, is required.
* Acceptable experience includes, domestic or international employment or volunteer work.
* A broad range of healthcare experience is encouraged.
* Acceptable direct patient care hours would be those from a position, which involves hands-on responsibility, such as but not limited to:
* Patient Care Technician (assistant/aide/associate)
* Medical Assistant
* Licensed Practicing Nurse
* Certified Nurse Assistant (CNA)
* Radiology Technician
* Emergency Medical Technician (EMT)
* Military Medic/Corpsman
* Medical Scribe
* Other licensed or certified health care professional
* Athletic trainer
* Clinical laboratory or research with patient contact
* First Responder
* Physical Therapy
* Physical therapy aide
* Optometrist technician
* Autism Therapy Program with Medical Responsibilities
* Dietician/ Nutritionist/ Nutritional Educator
* EKG Technician
* Surgical or Emergency Room Technician
* Recovery Room Assistant
* EEG Biofeedback Technician
* Electrophysiology Technologist
* Interventional Vascular Technologist
* Occupational Therapy
* Nephrology Intern
* Respiratory Therapy
* Patient care in Clinical clerkships/internship experiences in health professions
• Patient care experiences in other licensed or certified health profession
Shadowing experience In addition to the above Healthcare experience, a minimum of 40 hours of shadowing a physician assistant is required.
Personal Statement One-page personal statement describing why you wish to become a physician assistant
Resume/Curriculum vitae Describe in detail
* • Professional experiences
* • Volunteer and service activity
References : Three (3) references from professionals At least one (1) from a physician assistant or physician (MD or DO)
Graduate Record Examinations (GRE) The GRE General Test administered by ETS (Educational Testing Service) is not required.
English as a second language
Students for whom English is not their first language must submit scores from the TOEFL (Minimum Score 88 on the IBT), IELTS (International English Language Testing System/Minimum Score 7) or Pearson PTE (Minimum Score 60) that are no more than two years old.
* TOEFL codes for Pace University are as follows:
* Westchester Campus: 2644 New York City Campus: 2635
Advanced Placement Credits (AP credit)
* AP credit will be accepted for pre-requisite courses only.
* No AP credit will be awarded for the fulfillment of any PA Program didactic or clinical curricular content.
Advanced Standing - Under no circumstances will a student be given credit toward the courses in the Pace University-Pleasantville Physician Assistant Studies Program.
* Hours beyond the minimum required healthcare (patient care) experience, volunteer and service activity are preferred.
The Program aligns with Pace University's mission to impart to its graduate students a deep knowledge of their discipline and connection to its community as well as its embodiment of an ethos of respect for and celebration or our diversity, creating an inclusive and welcoming environment. Points are applied during the admissions process for candidates that align this mission. We encourage individuals from all backgrounds, including residents of the Hudson Valley, veterans and graduates of Pace University or health professions Pre-Health curriculums, first generations students and individuals from other populations that are underrepresented in the health professions or have experience in underserved areas, to apply.
SUCCESSFUL APPLICANTS ARE CONDITIONALLY ACCEPTED INTO THE PROGRAM PENDING VERIFICATION THAT ALL ADMISSION REQUIREMENTS HAVE BEEN MET AND THE APPLICANT HAS SUCCESSFULLY PASSED A CRIMINAL BACKGROUND CHECK.