Westchester County offers a number of programs and services that support and protect its lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender (LGBT) citizens. These web pages will help connect you with the local LGBT community, provide access to help if you need it, and keep you informed of current issues. The lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender community in Westchester County is as diverse as the general population. We live in all parts of the county, have varied family structures, work at different types of jobs and come from myriad racial, ethnic, and socioeconomic backgrounds. Some of us live as totally open lesbian, gay, bisexual or transgender people – others remain in the closet for fear of reprisal. What we all have in common is the desire to be treated as equal citizens in our daily lives. You may access local community resources.
Contact Information for LGBT Community Liaison
Contact Person: Diana Balistreri
Connects LGBT citizens to County agencies and services, and informs County officials about needs of LGBT community. Acts as a spokesperson for the County Executive and the LGBT community on gender identity issues.
Service and advocacy organizations in Westchester Countythat focus on LGBT issues
The LOFT: The Lesbian and Gay Community Services Center
Phone: (914) 948-2932
252 Bryant Avenue, White Plains, NY10605
HELPLINE: (914) 948-4922 or (914) 948-2932
The LOFT is one of the oldest LGBT organizations in the lower Hudson Valley and the only LGBT community center. Its mission is to provide a safe gathering place for the LGBT and supportive community in the lower Hudson Valley and to advocate for full equality for all LGBT people. Programs and services include: The LOFT Helpline; the Community News newsletter; a lending library; peer support groups; a senior outreach program; educational programs; social activities; and gala events. There are many opportunities to volunteer and membership is encouraged.
The LOFT provides a variety of services. Here is just a sampling of their services. You can learn more by contacting the HELPLINE (if there is no other contact information listed, please contact HELPLINE).
- HVQ 20/30This is a group to help serve the lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender community in their late teens, twenties and early thirties. We are here for both socialization and support, and we invite you to contact The LOFT for information on our regular meetings and any of our other monthly activities and events.
- Transgender Group is a monthly meeting for individuals; includes a separate support group for partners. Meets the second Saturday of the month at 7:30 p.m.
- LOFT Peer Support Services–Volunteers for The LOFT Peer Support Services organize and conduct a variety of support groups led by trained facilitators. Short-term workshops on coming out and other topics are also offered. There are groups for men, women and bisexuals.
- Gay AA and Al-anon Support groups for people with alcohol addiction and for their family and friends.
- Gaymes Night – gathering to play cards and board games. Meets the first and third Saturdays of the month at 7:00 p.m.
- LoftKids- LGBT parents and their kids meet for fun and excursions. Join us for our LOFT Kids Open Houses on the second Saturday of each month from 11:00 a.m.-1:00 p.m., where parents and kids are welcome to mix, mingle, and play
Center Lane/WestchesterJewish Community Services
Center Lane is Westchester’s only community center for LGBT and questioning adolescents. Services include: support groups; a drop-in center; educational and recreational activities; short term individual, group and family counseling; and community awareness trainings about LGBT issues.
Contact: James Stewart, Director, Center Lane
Phone: (914) 358-1006
Gateway Program of Integrated Health Services for Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and Transgendered People/Westchester County Medical Center
The Gateway Program located in the Behavioral Health Center at Westchester Medical Center provides individual, family, couple, group and substance abuse treatment specifically for LGBT persons. Pre-teens through seniors receive the highest quality of care in a safe and confidential environment. Linkages to primary care and specialty health care services are also provided.
Contact information: (914) 493-1753
ARCS: AIDS-Related Community Services
40 Saw Mill River Road
Hawthorne, NY 10532
Contact Information: (914) 345-8888
Provides AIDS testing and education, client services, support groups, case management, outreach to gay men, and a food pantry.
New York Civil Liberties Union, Westchester Chapter
Lower Hudson Valley Chapter - NYCLU
297 Knollwood Road, Suite 217
White Plains, NY 10607
Contact information: (914) 997-7479
Works to secure full civil rights and partner benefits for LGBT people. Promotes social policy reforms and public education on gender identity discrimination.
GLSEN (Gay Lesbian and Straight Education Network)
PO Box 604
Yorktown Heights, New York 10598
Contact Information: (914) 962-7888
GLSEN strives to assure that each member of every school community- regardless of sexual orientation or gender identity - is valued and respected. Services include monthly meetings, conferences and in-service courses for educators. All who share in GLSEN's mission are welcome to become members.
PFLAG (Parents, Families and Friends of Lesbians, Gays, Bisexual and Transgender persons)
c/o The Loft
252 Bryant Avenue
White Plains, NY 10605
PFLAG promotes the health and well-being of LGBT people, their families and their friends through support, education.
Lambda Peer Support Services, Inc. (LPSS)
7 Holland Ave
White Plains, NY 10603
LPSS provides workshops, ongoing and short term discussion groups, and other programming for the LGBTQ community.
Contact Information: (914) 514-3220