Adolescent and Special Education, Certificate of Advanced Graduate Study
New York City
Support Students with Learning Differences
Attention all teachers: If you have your master’s degree in education and secondary certification in a content area (e.g., social studies, math, English, science), you can obtain your New York State Certification as a Secondary Special Education Generalist with a Content Area Specialist extension. Graduates from this program will gain a rich understanding and in-depth knowledge of the practices to masterfully engage students of all abilities.
Be Ahead of the Class
- Get hired. Our strong partnerships with local school districts mean that our students are getting hired before they even graduate.
- Our coursework integrates key knowledge and dispositions necessary to teach in today’s modern classrooms, using technology to address the specific needs of all learners including students with disabilities and culturally and linguistically diverse students.
Take Courses Like…
This 18 credit post-master’s program will prepare adolescent teachers to educate all students in inclusive secondary classes.
- ED 677 Literacy for Children with Special Needs
- ED 679 Practicum in Special Education
- EDG 607 Supporting Positive Behavior and Autonomy
Add Opportunities and Experiences
As a teacher already in the field, your current teaching position may even qualify as your student teaching experience.
Choose Your Career
Completion of the Adolescent and Adolescent Special Education CAG will lead to the NYS Initial Certificate in adolescent special education generalist and an adolescent special education content area specialist extension.
Where Graduates are Employed
NYC Department of Education, Dutchess, Putnam, Rockland, and Westchester Public School Districts
of our graduates are employed
Highest Paid Education Graduates (Source: College Factual)
Special Education Job Placement (Source: Intelligent.com)