Adult-Gerontology Acute Care Nurse Practitioner (AGACNP), MS and Certificate
New York City
Advance Your Healthcare Practice
Make a difference in the health of adults and older adults with acute, chronic or complex illnesses as an Adult-Gerontology Acute Care Nurse Practitioner. In this program, you will be expertly prepared to work with adult populations in acute and critical care settings including hospitals, specialty clinics, and long term care, within an evidence-based, primary health care framework.
Curriculum Notice: Fall 2024
Students admitted into the MS program for Fall 2024 will be enrolled into a revised curriculum that includes 49 credits and 760 clinical hours. Students admitted into the Certificate of Advanced Graduate Studies will have a program plan developed by the program director based on a gap analysis.
Gain Hands-On Experience
- Study with faculty who are leading practitioners in the field.
- Clinical partnerships with more than 200 clinicians and health systems.
- Meets the ANCC and AACN requirements for Adult-Gerontology Acute Care Nurse Practitioner Certification.
Take Courses Like…
- NURS 640 Intro to Acute Care Advanced Nursing Practice: This course is designed to assist you to gain proficiency in comprehensive health evaluation across the lifespan within the context of family and community. Using an evidence-based practice framework you will develop skills in history taking, cultural assessment, risk assessment, basic laboratory diagnostic studies, health promotion/disease prevention planning, and appropriate documentation
- NURS 681 Pathophysiology For Advanced Practice Nursing: Using an evidence-based practice framework you will learn to assess and manage acute and chronic illnesses, including demonstration of knowledge of pathophysiology and pharmacologic interventions according to current standards of care.
- NURS 802 Leadership for Advanced Nursing: In this course you will use your base of knowledge in pathophysiology to gain greater understanding of the normal physiologic and pathologic mechanisms of disease across the lifespan.
Graduates are prepared to deliver culturally competent, evidence-based, primary health care to individuals with acute, chronic, or complex illnesses within acute and critical care setting.
Add Opportunities and Experiences
Gain experience through a web-assisted model with some class meetings delivered in-person, on-campus and some online elements. You will participate in simulated patient experiences and advanced skills labs to enhance critical thinking and diagnostic reasoning in our state-of-the-art Center for Excellence in Healthcare Simulation. Additionally, you will complete 550 precepted direct care clinical hours in the acute care setting under the supervision of experienced acute care clinical faculty. As an evidence-based practice capstone project, you will implement and evaluate the use of best practices in the acute care to improve the care of adults and older adults.
Choose Your Career in Healthcare
Graduates work as specialized healthcare professionals in acute care settings including hospitals, specialty clinics, and long-term care facilities. Nurse Practitioners holding the AGACNP degree can continue on to CHP’s Doctor of Nursing Practice program.
Careers in Adult-Gerontology Acute Care
Graduates are specialized nurse practitioners in adult-gerontology acute care and are employed in a variety of settings including emergency departments, medical/surgical, trauma, and intensive care units; inpatient and outpatient specialty care clinics; and long-term care facilities affiliated with many prestigious institutions such as New York-Presbyterian Hospital, the Mount Sinai Health System, NYU Langone Medical Center, and more.
NPs consistently ranked as the top job for growth and flexibility in health care (Source: US News & World Report, 2022)
Median salary and compensation for full-time AGACNPs in New York (Source: Salary.com)
What You Need to Know About This Masters Program
- Must be a graduate of an accredited baccalaureate program in nursing
- Be licensed as a registered nurse in New York State
- Demonstrate scholastic aptitude as evidenced by previous academic work, motivation, leadership potential and maturity
- Have an undergraduate cumulative QPA of 3.0
- Evidence of successful completion (grade B or higher) of an undergraduate statistics course is required
- Submit an essay, professional resume, and recommendations as described in the application
- Submit official transcripts from each academic institution previously attended
- A personal interview may be required
- Applicants for the Adult-Gerontology Acute Care Nurse Practitioner Master of Science or the Certificate of Advanced Graduate Studies program must have one year of inpatient/acute care experience
- No standardized admissions test (GRE or Miller Analogy) is required