Childhood Education and Special Education, Certificate of Advanced Graduate Study
New York City
Be An Essential Advocate
With a certificate in childhood education and special education, you will be prepared to empower student success in the fastest-growing area of the education profession. Gain enhanced knowledge to support students with disabilities and differences, as well as learn strategies to increase your effectiveness in the classroom. Develop your skills and expertise in implementing inclusionary practices, and differentiated instruction to help students with special learning needs and abilities become successful students and lifelong learners.
Be Ahead of the Class
- Get hired. Our strong partnerships with local school districts mean that our students are getting hired before they even graduate.
- Our coursework integrates key knowledge and dispositions necessary to teach in today’s modern classrooms, using technology to address the specific needs of all learners, including students with disabilities and culturally and linguistically diverse students.
- We are a proud member of the Association for Advancing Quality in Educator Preparation (AAQEP), an accreditation organization for educator preparation programs that promotes the preparation of effective educators by way of innovative, outcomes-focused programs that engage education’s toughest challenges, directly and in context.
TAKE COURSES LIKE…
This 18-credit post-master’s program prepares teachers of children (grades 1–6) to educate all students in inclusive elementary classes. It enables teachers with childhood certification to achieve New York State Certification in Students with Disabilities grades 1-6.
- ED 671 Assessment, Diagnosis, Evaluation, and Instructional Planning
- EDG 618 Individual Program Planning
- EDG 607 Supporting Positive Behavior and Autonomy
ADD OPPORTUNITIES AND EXPERIENCES
Become prepared to work with students who have disabilities. Deepen your knowledge about the characteristics of typical and atypical learners. Learn how to effectively use inclusive practices and differentiated instruction for students with special needs and abilities.
CHOOSE YOUR CAREER
After completing the program and passing the New York State Teacher Certification Exam in Students with Disabilities, you will be certified to teach students with disabilities in New York State.
WHERE GRADUATES ARE EMPLOYED
NYC Department of Education, Dutchess, Putnam, Rockland, and Westchester School Districts
of our graduates are employed or continuing their education (Source: Pace University Career Services)
best education schools in the US (Source: College Factual)
special education job placement (Source: Intelligent.com)