Childhood Education and Special Education, MST
New York City
Be An Essential Advocate
Teachers in the earliest grades provide a solid foundation for lifelong learning; how can you make a difference in the life of a child? Completing your degree and earning certification in Childhood Education and Special Education will enable you to make a lasting impact on young students by teaching in regular, special education, and inclusive classrooms for grades 1–6. The master of science for teachers (MST) graduate degree programs are the choice for professionals and college graduates who want to become teachers, but do not hold an undergraduate degree in education
Be Ahead of the Class
- Get hired. Our strong partnerships with local school districts mean that our students are getting hired before they even graduate.
- Our coursework integrates key knowledge and dispositions necessary to teach in today’s modern classrooms, using technology to address the specific needs of all learners, including students with disabilities and culturally and linguistically diverse students.
- We are a proud member of the Association for Advancing Quality in Educator Preparation (AAQEP), an accreditation organization for educator preparation programs that promotes the preparation of effective educators by way of innovative, outcomes-focused programs that engage education’s toughest challenges, directly and in context.
TAKE COURSES LIKE…
This 47-credit program provides a focused exploration into the organization of schools, the different ways that students learn, and the adaptation of teaching methods to meet the needs of individual students with and without disabilities in inclusive and self-contained settings.
- EDG 626 Literacy Methods for Diverse Populations (K–6)
- EDG 610 Curriculum and Methods in Inclusive Settings
- EDG 607 Supporting Positive Behavior and Autonomy
ADD OPPORTUNITIES AND EXPERIENCES
Become prepared to work with students who have disabilities. Deepen your knowledge about the characteristics of typical and atypical learners. Learn how to effectively use inclusive practices and differentiated instruction for students with special needs and learning styles.
CHOOSE YOUR CAREER
After completing the program and passing the New York State Teacher Certification Exams, you are eligible for initial teaching certifications in Childhood Education (grades 1–6) and Students with Disabilities (grades 1–6) in New York State.
WHERE GRADUATES ARE EMPLOYED
NYC Department of Education, Dutchess, Putnam, Rockland, and Westchester School Districts
of our graduates are employed or continuing their education (Source: Pace University Career Services)
highest paid education graduates in the US (Source: College Factual)
highest paid special education graduates in the US (Source: Grad Reports)