Language, Culture, and World Trade, BA
New York City
A Language Degree with a Professional Focus
Looking to broaden your career options? The BA in Language, Culture, and World Trade will give you the tools you will need to meet the growing domestic and international demand for linguistically and culturally fluent professionals.
An Interdisciplinary Program
- At Pace, learning extends beyond the classroom. Our dedicated professors are often working professionals who bring their expertise directly to Pace students. With the melting pot of the Big Apple as your backdrop, you can achieve anything.
- Coursework includes the in-depth study of one language and its culture, foundation business courses, a specialization in one area of world trade, the opportunity to balance theoretical knowledge with technical courses, an international internship, and a senior capstone course.
- Students gain a level of experience and cultural fluency that will make them an asset in international business, finance, law, trade, government, and diplomatic relations settings.
Take Courses Like…
This interdisciplinary program blends theory and practice, and features three major components: a major in a foreign language and culture (French, Italian, Russian, or Spanish); a professional concentration in one of four areas of international enterprise; and a required capstone course and an internship.
- RUS 305 Russian for Professional Communication
- MAR 351 International Marketing
- ECO 238 Money and Banking
Add Opportunities and Experiences
Participate in a wide variety of cultural organizations including CIAO (Italian Club), Japanese Business and Cultural Society, The Spanish Club, and honor societies including Phi Sigma Iota (Foreign Languages), Pi Delta Phi (French), and Gamma Kappa Alpha (Italian).
We strongly encourage students to take advantage of enriching travel experiences. Study abroad programs can last for a week, a semester, a summer, or even a full year. We also offer cultural and travel courses that culminate in a ten-day, in-country immersion trip during the spring and winter breaks.
The department organizes many events and cultural activities throughout the year, including International Poetry Day; International Career Panels; film festivals; French, Italian, and Spanish conversation hours; and excursions to plays and museums. Renowned scholars, playwrights, poets, novelists, and stage and screen directors also visit the department to give guest lectures.
Small class sizes enable faculty to provide you with individualized instruction and attention. Among our top priorities is teaching in a supportive atmosphere. Our faculty provides you with the opportunities to participate in independent research and service learning, as well as aid you in future career decisions. A number of courses are offered online.
Choose Your Career
With our BA in Language, Culture, and World Trade, you will gain a level of experience and cultural fluency that will make you an asset in any international business, finance, law, trade, government, diplomatic relations, and education setting.
Graduates of the program find rewarding careers in corporate, education, and government settings, while others go on to law, professional, or graduate schools. Internships enhance learning by providing the hands-on experience necessary in today’s competitive job market. Together with Career Services, we sponsor an annual panel discussion on International Careers.
Where Graduates are Employed
Recent graduates have found employment with organizations and corporations, including:
- Banca Intesa
- Jet Blue
- J.P. Morgan Chase
- New York Police Department