Veteran standing in front of 1 Pace Plaza in NYC.


If you have a question that is not answered here, please email us at

GI Bill®

Why do I sometimes receive monthly housing allowance checks in different amounts?

Your monthly housing allowance is paid directly to you at the beginning of each month for the previous month. Possible explanations for varying check amounts include:

  • A break pay check (in many cases, you will receive a partial allowance for breaks between terms)
  • A partial payment month (at the start and end of the term)
  • Rate change between calendar years
  • Delay because of re-certification at the start of the term
  • If your "rate of pursuit" of study is equal to or less than 50% (meaning you are a part-time student) or if you are on active duty, you are ineligible for the monthly housing allowance.

Back To Top

I just transferred to Pace from another school, where I was using my Post-9/11 GI Bill®benefits. Do I need to do anything to transfer benefits from my old school to Pace?

Yes. You will need to complete and submit a Request for Change of Program or Place of Training, VA Form 22-1995 to the VA. The form can be accessed electronically on the Veterans Benefits website. In addition, please provide your certificate of eligibility to us at and complete the Pace Veterans Request for Enrollment Certification form.

Back To Top

Is tutoring covered by the Post-9/11 GI Bill®?

Yes, you can receive funds for individual tutoring if you are enrolled on a half-time or more basis and if you have a deficiency in a course that is part of your approved program. You must be enrolled in a course during the same term in which the tutoring is received.

The VA will pay up to $100/month, with a maximum amount payable of $1,200. You, your tutor, and Pace's VA Certifying Official must complete an Application and Enrollment Certification for Individualized Tutorial Assistance (VA Form 22-1990t). This form must be completed within a year of the eligible tutoring. To begin the process of applying for reimbursement for tutoring, please email Veteran Affairs.

Back To Top

I am a visiting student at Pace. Can I use my Post-9/11 GI Bill® benefits while I study here?

Your coursework at Pace may be certified for Post-9/11 GI Bill® benefits if you are pursuing a degree at another college or university and are taking courses at Pace that apply to your degree program. In this case, Pace would be considered your "secondary school" and your degree-granting institution your "primary school," in VA terms.

If you meet these qualifications and you would like to use your benefits for visiting coursework at Pace, please ask your primary school's VA certifying official for a "parent-letter" stating that the coursework you will take at Pace applies to your degree program. Provide this letter to us at and follow the steps to request certification.

Back To Top

Can I transfer my Post-9/11 GI Bill® benefits to my spouse or child?

The Department of Defense allows individuals to transfer their Post-9/11 GI Bill® benefits to a family member if they are a member of the Armed Forces on or after August 1, 2009, have served at least years in the Armed Forces, and agree to serve at least another four years in the Armed Forces. Up to 36 months of benefits may be transferred to family members in numerous combinations to multiple dependents.

To learn more about transferability of benefits, visit the GI Bill® website.

Back To Top

How do I find out if I am eligible for Post-9/11 GI Bill® benefits?

Please visit the Veterans Benefits website and submit an application for a certificate of eligibility.

Back To Top

What are the requirements to receive the Basic Allowance for Housing (BAH)?

The Basic Allowance for Housing (BAH) is available to students who are enrolled at least half-time on campus. This means that you must take a course load that is considered more than 50% of the full-time course load for your program.

Back To Top

Do I have to verify via WAVE for any parts of the Post-9/11 GI Bill® or Yellow Ribbon Program?

Unlike for the Montgomery GI Bill® (MGIB), for the Post-9/11 GI Bill®, you do not need to verify your enrollment via WAVE. Our certification of your enrollment at the beginning of each term is the only necessary step.

Back To Top

When can I expect to receive the books and supplies stipend and my BAH housing allowance?

You will not begin to receive these benefits until Pace has certified your enrollment, once you have provided the necessary authorization by complete the "Veterans Request for Enrollment Certification" by logging into perperless website. Please note that there may be a delay between Pace's certification of your enrollment and the VA's processing and distribution of your payments. Please ensure that you are prepared to cover your living expenses in the event of a lengthy delay in VA payments.

Back To Top

How do I update my address and direct deposit information with the VA?

You may update your information via WAVE. You may also call the direct deposit center at 1-877-838-2778 to begin and change direct deposit.

Back To Top

How do I know if I am eligible for Vocational Rehabilitation benefits?

You may be eligible for Vocational Rehabilitation (Ch. 31) benefits if you received, or will receive, a discharge under other than dishonorable conditions, incurred or aggravated a service-connected disability which entitles you to VA disability compensation, and is in need of vocational rehabilitation because your disability creates an employment handicap. Generally, full tuition, fees, and books are paid to the school by the VA. In addition, you may receive a subsistence allowance depending on the training status. Vocational rehabilitation may be provided for up to 48 months.

Back To Top

I am an active duty service member. What educational benefits am I eligible for?

Generally, active duty service members who are eligible for Ch. 33 (have completed 90 days of aggregate service) are eligible for 100% of tuition and fees. Most active duty service members are also eligible for up to 100% Armed Forces Tuition Assistance for courses taken during off-duty hours. For more information, please visit's useful summary page.

According to federal regulations, active duty service members may not receive VA benefits for the same courses for which they receive Tuition Assistance (TA) from the military. Please consult with your school's financial aid officer to ensure that you are in compliance with these regulations while also receiving the maximum benefits combination possible. You must also notify Pace's VA Certifying Official that you are active duty if you have requested to receive Ch. 33 (Post-9/11 GI Bill®) benefits.

Please note that active duty students are ineligible for the Ch. 33 housing allowance (BAH) and are not eligible to participate in the Yellow Ribbon Program as per the Department of Veteran Affairs.

Back To Top

How do I decide between the Montgomery GI Bill® (MGIB) and the Post-9/11 GI Bill®?

Unlike for the Montgomery GI Bill® (MGIB), for the Post-9/11 GI Bill®, you do not need to verify your enrollment via WAVE. Our certification of your enrollment at the beginning of each term is the only necessary step.

  • Department of Veteran Affairs: "Which Education Benefit is Best for Me?"
  • "New GI Bill® Overview"
  • "GI Bill® Comparison"

Back To Top

How do I find out which VA benefits I am eligible for?

Please consult the GI Bill® website of the VA or the Financing Your Education section of this website.

Back To Top

Are there benefits for dependents of Vietnam veterans?

There are two federal programs that may be available for dependents of Vietnam veterans: VEAP and the Survivors and Dependents benefits. You can learn more about both benefits on the Financing Your Education page or on the VA Educational Benefits website.

Back To Top


I submitted all my paperwork. When will I receive my GI Bill® payment?

The most frequent question we receive is, "When is my payment going to arrive?" If you are concerned, first check with us at to ensure that your certification has been processed on our end. If it has, call the VA at 888-442-4551 to confirm that they've received your certification. If they have not, contact us again and ask that we resubmit your certification. Generally speaking it takes the VA 3-5 weeks to process a submitted/receiving enrollment certification and render payment, though during peak high volume junctures throughout the year processing times may increase.

Back To Top

When can I expect GI Bill® benefits to show up on my account? Also, will I be charged late fees due to an outstanding balance prior to my VA payment??

As of January 2013, the VA has committed to a 3-5 week turnaround time. This means that you should begin receiving payment with three weeks of Pace certifying your enrollment. If you have requested the use of your benefits prior to each semester's tuition due date, you will not be charged a late fee. If you did request the use of your benefits prior to the tuition deadline and you do have a late fee, please email to request that it is waived.

Back To Top

I'd like to pay what I owe Pace in tuition but I have not received any explanation detailing how much I am awarded. How can I take care of this?

If you would like to pay the balance on your bill now, you can estimate your VA benefits and then pay the remainder on your balance. If you overpay, you will receive a refund on your student account for the amount of your overpayment.

Back To Top

I still have not received my certificate of eligibility. What happens if I don't submit my certificate to Pace by the time the bill is due?

If you have not yet received your certificate of eligibility, please submit a Veterans Request for Certification form. When you submit it, input in the "COMMENTS" section the VONAPP confirmation number you were issued and let us know that you are still awaiting your VA certificate of eligibility.

Back To Top

What fees are covered by the Post-9/11 GI Bill®?

Only those fees that are considered mandatory and/or charged to all students in your school or program are eligible to be covered by the Post-9/11 GI Bill®. This includes charges like the General Fee, Technology Fee, Student Activity fees charged to all students in your school, and the Health Heath Care Center fee (this is NOT the same as the health insurance). It also includes special course fees, such as lab fees, and any other fee that is required for your course of study.

The Pace Health Insurance plan, dining plans, library late fees, additional printing fees, and other such expenses are NOT eligible to be covered by the Post-9/11 GI Bill®. Prior to the start of each semester each student who has health insurance either through the VA or some other third party entity must visit or complete the "Health Insurance Waiver" electronic form.

If you have a question about a specific fee and whether it will be covered, please contact

Back To Top

Are there any financial benefits offered by New York State?

New York's Recruitment Incentive and Retention Program offers a tuition benefit for eligible members of the New York National Guard. Additionally, New York's Veterans Tuition Award offers a contribution of up to $6,195.00 (2014-2015 AY) towards Pace tuition to eligible veterans attending a degree-granting program in New York State.

Back To Top

I am eligible for a federal Pell Grant. How does this affect my VA benefits?

Pell Grants are not affected by the Post-9/11 VA benefit eligibility. If you are a Pell Grant recipient, the Post-9/11 VA benefits you receive will not count against your aid eligibility. In general, students will be able to keep their Pell grants even if they are receiving Post-9/11 benefits. For further questions, please email

Back To Top

How will the tuition payments work? Will I need to pay anything upfront? What happens if the VA payments don't come through?

For the Post-9/11 GI Bill®, the Department of Veterans Affairs will process payments directly to Pace University. You will need to ensure that all documentation is in place so that Pace receives payments on your behalf. In the event you learn that you are not entitled to VA payments, you will be responsible for paying any outstanding charges to the University.

For all other VA educational benefits programs, you will receive funds directly from the VA and will be responsible for submitting all payments you owe to Pace University.

As with other scholarships, you should anticipate the amount you will receive from the VA and pay only the remaining balance on your student account. You should not pay upfront the amount that you expect to receive from the VA. We will ensure that you are not assessed a late fee, provided that you request the use of your benefits prior to the tuition deadline for this outstanding balance while VA payment is pending.

Back To Top


I am a graduate student working on my thesis. I am not taking any formal courses, but I am registered as a "full-time" student. Can I receive BAH?

According to the VA, "in-residence training for graduate students consists of regularly scheduled, conventional classroom or laboratory sessions; or consists of research (either on campus or in absentia) necessary for the preparation of the student's master's thesis, doctoral dissertation, or similar prerequisite treatise; or consists of a combination of scheduled classroom or research." As long as your school or program considers you to meet these qualifications on a "greater than half-time" basis, then you are eligible to receive BAH.

Back To Top

Do I need to be enrolled in a degree-granting program to receive Post-9/11 GI Bill® benefits at Pace?

Generally, yes. Non-matriculated students (including those in the American Language Program) may be certified for GI Bill® benefits only if they are pending admission to one of Pace's degree-granting programs. If they are pending admission, they may be certified for up to two terms as a non-matriculated student.

Back To Top

How will I know that Pace has certified my enrollment?

Once we receive your Veterans Request for Certification form, we will certify your enrollment within a 7-10 business days. You will receive an email confirmation that we have received your form or that we have certified your enrollment as well as an electronic automated email from the VA ONCE software used to submit enrollment certifications.

Back To Top

My certificate of eligibility has an error on it. It does not indicate the appropriate percentage of benefits for which I am eligible. I am awaiting a revised certificate, but how do I inform Pace of this error?

If you have already provided your certificate of eligibility to Pace, please email to inform us that you are waiting for a revised certificate.

If you anticipate that the revision will make you 100% eligible for the benefits payable under the Post-9/11 GI Bill® and you hope to benefit from the Yellow Ribbon Program, please indicate this in your email.

Back To Top

How do I provide my documentation to Pace VA Certifying Official?

We strongly prefer that you submit your certificate of eligibility via email to or as an attachment to your Veterans Request for Certification form.

Back To Top

Do I need enrollment certification from Pace to get my certificate of eligibility from the VA?

You will not need an enrollment certification from Pace in order to get your certificate of eligibility, but you will need to have your enrollment certified in order to have your payments processed. To request a certificate of eligibility, visit and access the VONAPP system.

Back To Top

Do I need to give my VA certificate of eligibility to anyone other than Pace's VA Certifying Official?

No, you do not need to give your certificate to anyone else at Pace.