Students walking into 1 Pace Plaza in NYC.

Federal Work Study

Federal Work Study is a type of Financial Aid offered to Pace students to help them pay for college. This is a Federal part-time work program offered to eligible undergraduate and graduate students. Work Study is not a grant; however, it does allow students to earn money while they are in school. Funds earned under the Work Study program are paid directly to the student and not deducted from their Pace University bill.

To Be Eligible For Federal Work Study Students Must:

  • Complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA)
  • Show financial need as determined by their FAFSA.
  • Be matriculated (accepted to a degree or applicable certificate program).
  • Be enrolled in at least 6 credits (half-time) per semester.
  • Maintain Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP).

How Does Federal Work Study Work?

Federal Work Study awards included on a Financial Aid Award notice represents the student's eligibility to earn towards those funds. These funds are earned via bi-weekly paycheck once the student applies for and obtains on-campus student employment. These funds are not deducted from the student's bill.

Where Can Students Awarded Work Study Obtain Employment?

Students receiving Federal Work Study awards may be employed on campus by Pace University. Most of the students approved for Federal Work Study can be placed in jobs, but it is the student's responsibility to research job openings and to successfully obtain a position. Students interested in on-campus employment should visit Pace University's Human Resources Department's Careers at Pace site on the web for links to the application system and instructions.

How Are Work Study Students Paid?

Students are paid hourly, and are usually employed by their college – they must be paid at least the current federal minimum wage. A student works with their college to determine where they will work and base a student's hours on financial need, class schedule, and academic progress.

Typically, students work on their college's campus. If a student works off-campus, it is usually for a private, non-profit or public organization whose work is in the public interest. Numerous off-campus positions are also available through the America Reads/Counts/JumpStart program which allows Pace students the opportunity to tutor young children to help improve their reading and math skills. Applications and eligibility criteria for this program are available through the New York Campus Dyson College offices.

Federal Work Study paychecks are issued twice each month based on the number of hours worked and the hourly wage rate. Paychecks are issued on a half-month delay which means that students will be paid on September 30th for hours worked from September 1st through 15th. Employment under the program will normally average 10–15 hours per week while classes are in session. During vacation periods, students may work up to 40 hours per week. Total earnings under Federal Work Study are limited to the award amount authorized by the Financial Aid Office.

What If I Was Not Awarded Federal Work Study?

Students who have not been awarded Federal Work Study who have filed the FAFSA and who have financial need, may ask the Financial Aid Office to review their eligibility. In addition, non-FWS recipients may also apply for most on-campus jobs.