Two pace students in One Pace Plaza

Reporting Requirements

Any employee, including a student employee, who works in any capacity under a federal grant or contract must notify their immediate supervisor of their conviction for a violation of any criminal drug statute (including misdemeanors) occurring in the workplace no later than 5 calendar days after such conviction. This applies to direct charge employees and to indirect charge employees who perform any support or overhead functions related to the grant. The supervisor must then promptly report the conviction to the Vice President for Human Resources. Under the Drug-Free Workplace Act, the University is required by law to report the conviction to the federal funding agency within 10 days of receiving notice of the conviction from the employee or from any other source.

Parental Notification

If the University determines that a student under the age of 21 violated the Drug and Alcohol Policy, the University may disclose to a parent or legal guardian of the student, information regarding any violation of any federal, state, or local law, or of any rule or policy of the University, governing the use or possession of alcohol or controlled substances. If practicable, the student will be informed in advance that their parents or legal guardian are going to be given notice of the student’s violation of the University’s Drug and Alcohol Policy.

Counseling and Treatment

Students and employees who have concerns about their use of alcohol or other drugs are urged to seek assistance. Faculty and staff may obtain counseling or referrals from Human Resources ((212) 346-1630 in New York; (914) 773-3810 in Westchester); the Pace University Employee Assistance Program, which is administered by CIGNA’s Life Assistance Program (1-800-538-3543). The User ID is "lap" and the Password is "member". Resources for students who are seeking counseling or referrals include the Dean for Students ((212) 346-1306 in New York; (914) 773-3351 in Westchester); Office of Residential Life ((212) 346-1295 in New York; (914) 923-2790 in Westchester); and the Center for Student Engagement and Campus Activities ((212) 346-1590 in New York; (914) 773-3767 in Westchester). Other resources available to all members of the University community include the Counseling Center ((212) 346-1523 in New York; (914) 773-3710 in Westchester); and University Health Care ((212) 346-1600 in New York; (914) 773-3760 in Westchester).

Organizations that provide support and assistance to individuals with substance abuse problems and to their families include:

  • Alcoholics Anonymous: (212) 870-3400
  • Al-Anon and Alateen: (212) 941-0094 (Greater New York)
  • Cocaine Anonymous: (212) 929-7300 or 212COCAINE - (212) 262-2463
  • Covenant House Nineline: 1-800-999-9999
  • Marijuana Anonymous: (212) 459-4423
  • Nar-Anon: 1-800-984-0066
  • Narcotics Anonymous: (212) 929-6262 or (212) 929-7117
  • Nicotine Anonymous: (415) 750-0328 or (877) 879-6422
  • LIFENET Crisis Referral Hotline: 1-800-543-3638

A list of substance abuse treatment facilities can be found in Appendix D. (See Appendix D - Student Handbook - Substance Abuse Treatment Facilities.) View additional substance abuse treatment facilities.

Revised: October 8, 2010