group of Pace University students walking and laughing

How do I apply?

To apply as an international student, follow the same steps to apply as all Pace University first year and transfer applicants.

Submit Required Documents

  • A completed application and $50 nonrefundable application fee. Pace offers online and print application options, which vary by student type. To get started, please visit our Apply Now web page and select an application based upon your student type. Applicants applying under the Early Decision plan, please submit the Early Decision Agreement (PDF).

  • Official transcripts, diplomas, and leaving examination scores from secondary and post-secondary schools (in English). Applicants may send unofficial copies of all transcripts to or upload through the Application Dashboard for the initial processing and review of your application. Please include your name, email, and program of interest.

    If you are admitted, your offer is contingent upon the receipt and verification of all official printed transcripts.

    Transcripts are considered official only if they are sent directly to:

  • Students who do not qualify for one of the English Proficiency exam waivers listed below must present proof of English proficiency by submitting scores (testing results are valid for no more than two years):

    English Proficiency TestDirect Entry
    TOEFL iBT80+
    Trinity ExamISE II Distinction
    Cambridge ExamCambridge English B2 First, C1 Advanced or C2 Proficiency score 176

    ***For international students affected by testing centers closures due to the coronavirus (COVID-19), Pace University has temporarily approved the use of the Duolingo English Test in place of the in-person TOEFL, IELTS and PTE English proficiency exams. Duolingo English Tests will be accepted for all 2023 applications.

    For additional information, please review the frequently asked questions.

    Additional ways of providing proof of English proficiency

    1. Proof of Citizenship from a country where English is the official language, i.e. Antigua, Australia, Bahamas, Barbuda, Belize, Bermuda, Botswana, British Virgin Islands, Cameroon, Cayman Islands, Canada, Christmas Island, Cocos, Cooks Islands, Dominica, England, Eswatini, Fiji, Ghana, Grenada, Grenadines, Guam, Guyana, Ireland, Isle of Man, Jamaica, Keeling Island, Kiribati, Lesotho, Liberia, Marshall Islands, Mauritius, Micronesia, Montserrat, N. Marianas, Nevis, New Zealand, Nigeria, Norfolk Island, Papua New Guinea, Scotland, Sierra Leone, South Africa, St. Christopher, St. Helena, St. Kitts, St. Lucia, St. Vincent, Tanzania, Trinidad and Tobago, Uganda, United Kingdom, American Virgin Islands, Zambia.
      • Students who graduate from high school or post-secondary school in any of the countries listed above (where English is the official language) or attended an international school that follows the educational system of any of these countries will be exempted from submitting a test of English proficiency. Students are expected to be enrolled in non-ESL English courses consistent with their peers, be enrolled at the high school or post-secondary institution for the entirety of the degree and should have a B average or better in English courses
    2. A high school diploma from a four-year U.S. high school, without ESL support.Students are expected to be enrolled in non-ESL English courses consistent with their peers and be enrolled at a US-based high school or post-secondary institution for the entirety of the degree. Please note, GED Diplomas are not accepted.
    3. SAT or ACT scores. International students may submit an SAT or ACT score in lieu of a TOEFL or IELTS score. The following scores would warrant a waiver of the TOEFL or IELTS and sufficiently demonstrate English proficiency:
      • SAT - A score of a 27 or better on the reading test subsection
      • ACT - Score of 20 or higher on the English section
    4. IB students may submit ENGLISH A1/A2 or B1/B2 results with a score of 4 or better. Students with Higher Level (HL) courses will be awarded college credit as well.
    5. AP English exam with a score of 4 or better
    6. A college level English composition course from an accredited institution in the US with a C or better
    7. IGSCE, GCSE, or GCE (International General Certificate of Secondary Education, General Certificate of Secondary Education, or General Certificate of Education) O-Level or A-Level English with grade of E or higher.
    8. Norway students who have obtained the Upper Secondary Certificate.
    9. Successfully complete the Pre-Undergraduate program through Pace's English Language Institute
  • Official test scores and other educational materials must be sent directly from the testing authority or institution.

    SAT or ACT Scores (Optional)

    Pace University does not require the SAT or ACT for most applicants. Learn more about our Test Optional Policy for guidelines and exceptions.

    • To request SAT/ACT scores, use SAT (NYC - 2635; Westchester - 2685); ACT (NYC - 2852; Westchester - 2855).
    • We will also accept SAT/ACT scores sent by your school or college counselor on the official high school transcript.
  • Send a photocopy or fax of your valid passport/national identity card displaying your photo and name.

  • Two letters of recommendation (PDF) from a teacher or counselor who knows you well and can attest to your academic potential and personal characteristics. Letters of recommendation are not required for international transfer students.

  • One essay/personal statement, approximately 250-650 words in length, which will assist the Admission Committee in reviewing your application. The essay/personal statement you submit must consist solely of your own original work. You may write on a subject of your choice or one of the following subjects:

    • Some students have a background, identity, interest, or talent that is so meaningful they believe their application would be incomplete without it. If this sounds like you, then please share your story.
    • The lessons we take from failure can be fundamental to later success. Recount an incident or time when you experienced failure. How did it affect you, and what did you learn from the experience?
    • Reflect on a time when you challenged a belief or idea. What prompted you to act? Would you make the same decision again?
    • Describe a problem you have solved or a problem you'd like to solve. It can be an intellectual challenge, a research query, an ethical dilemma-anything that is of personal importance, no matter the scale. Explain its significance to you and what steps you took or could be taken to identify a solution.
    • Discuss an accomplishment or event, formal or informal, that marked your transition from childhood to adulthood within your culture, community, or family.
    • Describe a topic, idea, or concept you find so engaging that it makes you lose all track of time. Why does it captivate you? What or who do you turn to when you want to learn more?
    • Share an essay on any topic of your choice. It can be one you've already written, or one that responds to a different prompt, or one of your own design.
  • Course descriptions or syllabus (in English) from each post-secondary school attended (transfer applicants only).

Frequently Asked Questions

What do I need to apply to Pace University as an international student?

A complete application to Pace includes:

  • Pace online application completed and signed *
  • Official transcripts for all high school and post-high school institutions attended
    • All transcripts must be submitted in English, translated by the students accredited education institute or a professional translation company.
  • Proof of English language proficiency
  • SAT or ACT score (optional)
  • Personal statement
  • Two letters of recommendation
  • Some programs have additional requirements

*Pace University accepts the Common Application

What are the admissions requirements for first year, international students?

During our admission process, we closely review your specific academic background and particular educational system in order to make the best possible admission decisions.

All first-year students who apply to Pace University must submit an official high school transcript in English. When evaluating your application for undergraduate admission, we are interested in understanding how you challenged yourself relative to the curriculum that was available at your school and the trends in your performance—especially your grades in math, science, English and coursework related to your intended major.

We also consider the GPA (Grade Point Average) that is indicated on your high school transcript. We generally look for students in the top 50% of their class. For schools that don't use a ranking system, we consider a 2.5 GPA or higher to be the equivalent. Finally, the Office of International Admissions conducts a holistic review of each application that includes a careful review of the following documents; letters of recommendation, personal statement / essay, and extracurricular activities.

Are international students eligible for merit-based scholarships?

Yes, international students are eligible for merit-based scholarships and are automatically reviewed for scholarship by our admissions committee at the time of admission. Scholarships range from approximately $10,000 to $30,000 USD per year.

Additionally, Pace University accepts third-party scholarships for international students.

How can undocumented students, including those with DACA status, apply for admission on the Pace University online application?

“Visa Type” is a required question for non-U.S. citizens on the Pace online application for admission. As an undocumented student, you have the option to select “Other” at the bottom of the dropdown list for this question. This option is considered a valid response and we recommend this choice for undocumented applicants, including those with DACA status.

If the DACA program is canceled or revoked, will my status as an enrolled student protect me from deportation?

Enrolled student status does not necessarily provide protection from removal; however, a 2011 memo from U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) designates college campuses as “sensitive locations,” meaning that college campuses would not be the focus of law enforcement actions (i.e. arrests, searches, interviews, and surveillance) unless: (a) exigent circumstances exist; (b) other law enforcement actions have led officers to campus; or (c) prior approval is obtained.

How can Refugees and Asylees in the United States apply for admission on the Pace University online application?

“Visa Type” is a required question for non-U.S. citizens on the Pace online application for admission. As a Refugee or Asylee, you have the option to select “Refugee/Asylee” at the bottom of the dropdown list for this question. This option is considered a valid response and we recommend this choice for Refugees and Asylees

Am I considered an international student if I am “Permanent Resident Pending?”

Yes, you are considered an international student if you are Permanent Resident Pending or I-485 Pending. “Visa Type” is a required question for non-U.S. citizens on the Pace online application for admission. As a student who is PR Pending or I-485 Pending, you have the option to select “Other” at the bottom of the dropdown list for this question. This option is considered a valid response and we recommend this choice for applicants who are PR Pending or I-485 Pending.

*An individual who has filed the I-485 application to adjust his or her status from a non-citizen to become a Permanent Resident is considered to be Pending for Permanent Residency (PR Pending or I-485 Pending). Like the Permanent Resident, the PR Pending may also enroll at Pace without any special visa or authorization from the International Admissions Office at Pace. This means that these students are not required to have an F-1 visa to study at Pace University. It may be months or years before the pending status is resolved, so students should be aware of their options and the potential benefits and consequences of each.

**The information above is only for informational purposes and should not be construed as legal advice. If you are seeking Permanent Residency or U.S. Citizenship, you should contact an immigration lawyer or other appropriate counsel for advice