Leave of Absence
As an international student, if you decide to take a Leave of Absence (LOA), withdraw from your program, or have been suspended, you must contact ISS to discuss your immediate plans and any plans you may have to return.
Please note, LOA for international student assumes immediate departure from the U.S. and, therefore, should be planned carefully. In addition, LOA will reset your employment eligibility clock and you will need to complete two consecutive academic semesters upon return in order to regain off-campus employment eligibility.
To apply for a Leave of Absence:
- Complete the Office of the Registrar's online Leave of Absence Form. Your Academic Advisor will review your submitted online form and review and e-sign the form.
- Log in to ISS Connect. Navigate to the Requests tab, and click on Leave of Absence (LOA).
- While on LOA, your SEVIS record and F-1 status will be terminated.
- You have a 15-day Grace Period to depart.
- You must contact ISS for instructions for resuming studies and status 2-3 months before coming back.
Medical leave of absence (MLOA)
If you need to take a leave of absence due to medical reason, and need to stay in the U.S. due to hospitalization or medical treatment in the U.S., you are allowed to keep your F-1 status active and remain legally in the US as long as you provide proper medical documentation. Only twelve months of medical leave is allowed, and we can only authorize this type of MLOA for one semester at a time.
Please contact ISS immediately if you need to get authorized for a MLOA.
Resumption of Studies/Status
When you decide to return to Pace to resume your degree program studies, please plan ahead. Contact us at least 3 months before the semester of resumption begins for guidance on how to resume your studies and regain your status.
To apply for a Resumption of Studies/Status:
- Complete the Office of the Registrar's online Resumption of Studies Form. Your Academic Advisor will review your submitted online form and review and e-sign the form.
- Log in to ISS Connect. Navigate to the Requests tab, click on Resumption of Studies (ROS), and complete all requirements in the request for obtaining a new I-20 for ROS.
- You are required to upload financial documentation (Affidavit of support and sponsor’s bank statement) reflecting funds available for your educational expenses, as listed on the Financial Affidavit
After you submit your Resumption of Studies/Status request in ISS Connect, allow at least three weeks for processing of your new I-20. When we review your request, we will check that your University record reflects the approved ROS and that you are registered for the intended semester of resumption. Only then will we process your NEW I-20 for ROS.
Since a new SEVIS ID will be created for resumption of studies, you will be required to pay a new SEVIS Fee associated with your new SEVIS ID number. See I-901 SEVIS Fee Instructions (PDF). If you need to apply for a new F-1 visa, visit U.S. Department of State and Study in the U.S.
You may enter the U.S. no earlier than 30 days before the program start date listed on your new I-20. Complete the online Mandatory International Student Check-in in ISS Connect as soon as you have arrived.