Pace International student in front of a row of world flags

J-1 scholar pre-arrival information

DS-2019 Form

You receive the DS-2019 form from Pace after you are invited to the University and the proper paperwork is done. You need to present this form to the U.S. embassy or consulate in your home country to apply for a J-1 Visa.

This form contains:

  • your study/research information such as field of research
  • start and end date of program participation
  • personal information relevant to your J-1 status

U.S. J-1 Visa

The J-1 visa is a computer-generated entry permit that is issued by the U.S. embassy or consulate abroad for you to enter the U.S. to begin your scholarly assignment. The only time you are required to have a valid visa is upon entering the U.S. from another country.

For more information about visa applications please visit the U.S. Department of State website. You can stay in the U.S. on an expired J-1 visa as long as you have maintained your valid J-1 exchange visitor status (DS-2019).

Two-Year Home Country Residence Requirement

The two-year home country residence requirement is a condition that applies to some Exchange Visitors (EVs) who obtain J-visa status under the following circumstances:

  • the Exchange Visitor received full or partial funds from the U.S. government, his/her own government, or an international organization funded by government;
  • the education, training, or skills that the Exchange Visitor is pursuing in the U.S. appear on the Exchange Visitor Skills List for his/her legal country of residence published by the Department of State.

Exchange visitors who are subject to the Two-year Home Residence Requirement are not eligible to change their visa status from J-1 to H (temporary worker), L (intra-company transferee), or an immigrant visa ("green card"), unless they return and reside in the country of their last permanent residence for two years after completing their programs in the U.S.

The Two-Year Home Country Residence Requirement condition will be recorded in SEVIS, reflected on the DS-2019 and on a visa stamp/sticker affixed in the passport, should you become a subject to the above condition.

EVs who become subject, may apply for a waiver from the U.S. Department of State during or after the completion of the program.

Note: Information and guidelines are available at Department of State website. ISS will not be involved with the process of waiver application of EVs in any form.