Pace International student in front of a row of world flags

International Student and Scholar Tax Obligations

As required by the Internal Revenue Service (IRS), the United States government agency responsible for the collection of federal income taxes, all non-immigrant students must file a U.S. income tax form (form 8843) regardless of whether or not they have income from sources in the U.S. Students who earn income must also file form 1040NR.

Currently the U.S. has tax treaties with over 50 countries and territories under which their citizens may be tax exempt from all or part of their U.S. income. For more information on tax treaties as well as a list of these countries , see IRS Publication 901 (PDF).

Due to legal restriction, ISS staff cannot advise on tax filing matters. However, we can provide basic information on when, where and how to file the applicable form. Please review the Tax Filing Tree (PDF), which will help you to determine which forms to use, as well as the Tax Filing Guide (PDF).

More resources to file your Federal, State and New York City taxes

  • Tax Workshop Schedule
  • Tax Workshop Video - provided by the University of Buffalo International Student & Scholar Services
  • SPRINTAX - a tax filing service, designed for international students and scholars. In February, ISS will send access codes and instructions on how to use this service.  IMPORTANT: Sprintax is a service provided by Taxback, Inc., a third-party vendor not owned by or otherwise affiliated with Pace University.  Pace hereby expressly disclaims any and all responsibility and/or liability for legal or other claims or demands that may arise from the user’s interaction(s) with the Sprintax services.  A user who interacts with Sprintax does so at her or his sole risk.  By using this link, the user confirms that she or he has read, understands, and agrees to the preceding statement.
  • Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) - free tax filing assistance. Volunteers are Lubin School of Business students, trained and certified by the IRS.
  • H&R BLOCK - a paid service to assist in filing an income tax returns. If you need personal consultation, find an H&R Block Office. THIS IS A PAID service, confirm how much the fee will be before commiting.