J-1 Visiting Scholars
Exchange Visitor Program Overview
The Exchange Visitor Program was established by the U.S. Government to promote participation in Educational and Cultural programs by facilitating the visit of international scholars to the U.S. The objective of the program is to increase mutual understanding between the citizens of the U.S. and the Exchange Visitors’ country. Exchange Visitors (EV) may study, conduct research, teach, or receive training. Universities, research institutes, and organizations can be recognized by the U.S. Department of State as Exchange Visitor Program Sponsors. The U.S. Department of State governs the Exchange Visitor Program (EVP) and monitors university compliance regarding regulations and purpose of the program.
Exchange Visitor Program (EVP) Emergency Hotline – 1-866-283-9090 – is a 24/7 toll-free telephone number that allows exchange visitors to directly contact the Department in emergency and urgent situations. A Department representative is available 24 hours a day. The Hotline telephone number appears on the Department’s website under the Participant Brochures tab.
Pace University has been designated by the Department of State as an authorized EVP Sponsor for hosting scholars under the following categories:
- Short Term Scholar: Maximum duration of participation 6 months
- Researcher: Maximum duration of participation 60 months
- Professor: Maximum duration of participation 60 months
Scholars who are invited to Pace University for less than two weeks will generally use a B-1/B-2 tourist visa which does not require University sponsorship; however, no compensation or travel reimbursement is allowed.
An international scholar visiting Pace might be a:
- Adjunct Professor engaged in teaching,
- postdoctoral scholar pursuing research in his/her field,
- Ph.D. candidate pursuing a doctoral degree in his/her home country and conducting research at Pace,
- world-renowned academic specialist spending their sabbatical at Pace, or
- short-term scholar/researcher collaborating with Pace faculty.
A Visiting Scholar's primary purpose at Pace University is to conduct independent research. Scholars are typically not compensated; however, they may be granted a variety of privileges, including office space and access to the University facilities.