Government, Healthcare, and Nonprofit Internship Opportunities
The MPA program offers internship experiences in public, health care and nonprofit institutions. The 3-credit internship course (PAA 695) is optional for our MPA students but highly recommended for students who have less than one year of experience in the public, nonprofit and healthcare sectors. The internship course is designed as an educational work experience within an area of public sector management or policy related to a student's field or interest and supervised by a professional who has expertise in that field.
Through this experiential learning experience our students apply research and practical skills in organizational analysis, administrative diagnosis, and strategic planning for development and change, and develop job search skills for subsequent employment with a strategy for lifelong development with professional identity and network. This assignment typically lasts one semester, but it can be extended in time. Students who elect this experience first consult with the MPA Program Director or the Internship Coordinator and together they enlist a facility to provide the appropriate onsite experience.
The student and the preceptor at the facility organize a program subject to faculty approval. The student is expected to provide to the faculty advisor an outline of the experience before the program starts, as well as a summary of the experience at its completion. In addition, students complete a research project of value to the facility, which must be acceptable to the preceptor and the faculty advisor. The facility preceptor completes an evaluation of the student intern for submission to the faculty advisor. Afterwards, students may go on to perform their Capstone projects on material gained from their internship experience.
Recent Internship Placements (2019-2022)
- Assembly member, Brian Barnwell, NY Assembly District 30 (State Government)
- Center on Budget and Policy Priorities (Nonprofit)
- NY Department of Youth and Community Development (Local Government)
- End Citizens United (Nonprofit)
- Federal Emergency Management Agency, Region II (Federal Government)
- Hot Bread Kitchen (Nonprofit)
- MBF Health (Local Government)
- NYC Health+Hospitals/Community Care (Local Government)
- Pace University (Nonprofit)
- PEARL Institute (Nonprofit)
- Port Authority of New York and New Jersey (State Government)
- Rubitection Inc. (Private)
- SCHOTT North America (Private)
- Village of Port Chester, NY (Local Government)
- Westchester Children Association (Nonprofit)
- Westchester Medical Center (Healthcare)
- YuRui Education (Nonprofit)
- Mount Sinai Hospital, Manhattan (Healthcare)