The purpose of the MPA Student Association (MPASA) is to create activities and events for MPA students with the objectives including but not limited to enhance knowledge, expand competitive strength, broaden networking opportunities, and improve academic, professional, and social programming experiences in the challenging and evolving field of public administration. The MPASA provides career-related information, tools, and events in the NYC, Westchester and surrounding areas for students, recent graduates, and new and mid-career professionals.
As Pace University MPA program graduates, we strive to receive the highest quality education that will broaden our career opportunities and provide us with competitive advantages as we seek to establish ourselves as professionals in the practical, challenging, and evolving field of public administration.
The Organization shall operate as a network alliance for MPA students, faculty, administrators, alumni and industry professionals.
Through organized social and community service events, the MPASA seeks to help students in the government, health care, and nonprofit specializations forge meaningful and long-term relationships with professionals already practicing in those fields. These relationships will forge a community of engaged young professionals through a new network that uses technology and social media along with face-to-face social events to facilitate this sense of modern community.
The Association actively works to increase its visibility, and to develop strategic partnerships with Pace University Alumni, other Pace organizations, schools and students. The Master of Public Administration Student Association promotes civic engagement and responsibility along with character development among graduates, faculty, staff, and public administrators through joint community service experiences and by engaging in thoughtful discourse with public affairs professionals from a variety of disciplines, and especially members of the American Society for Public Administration (ASPA).
Membership, Events and Activities
Every MPA graduate student, active part-time and/or full-time matriculated, is automatically a member and invited to all of our activities. We advertise our events mostly via email and through flyers we post on campus.
The association organizes variety of events to help students connect and unite with fellow MPA students as well as enjoy to help enlighten their experience at Pace. Some examples are:
- MPASA “Common Hour” (at least once a month)
- Orientation social event—MPASA plans and attends a social gathering for all of the new MPA graduate students at the beginning of every semester
- Faculty informal forum — few students are invited to meet with some professors for informal discussions about the program
- Meetings with faculty, staff and the Dean
- Promotion of the “Capstone Week” every end of the semester
- MPA Awareness Day every end of the semester
Ric Kolenda, PhD
Faculty Advisor, Master of Public Administration Student Association
Our department offers free/complimentary student International City County Management Association (ICMA) membership to all our students. The purpose of the ICMA Student Chapter is to provide inspiration, education and integrate students into the local government management profession.
Student chapter members receive the following benefits:
- Membership in the ICMA Student Chapters Facebook group
- Access to Job ads in the weekly Leadership Matters newsletter and in the ICMA Job Center
- Free complementary subscription to ICMA webinars
- An online subscription to Public Management Magazine.
- Access to the members-only online discussion groups, ICMA Connect
To activate your ICMA student membership please email Dr. Gina Scutelnicu Todoran at email@example.com.
ICMA Student Chapter Leadership
Gina Scutelnicu Todoran, PhD
Faculty Advisor, ICMA Pace University Student Chapter
Pi Alpha Alpha is the Global Honor Society for Public Affairs and Administration, and its purpose is to encourage and recognize outstanding scholarship and accomplishment in public affairs and administration. The society seeks to promote the advancement of quality in the education and practice of the art and science of public affairs and administration. Each spring the Pace Pi Alpha Alpha chapter celebrates those MPA students with the highest performance levels in an induction ceremony.
Membership is open to students in schools of public affairs and administration, faculty, alumni, public officials, and scholars who have made significant contributions to the field. Masters’ students must meet the following criteria:
- Completed at least fifty percent (50%) of the required course work (a minimum of 18 semester hours or 27 quarter hours).
- Hold a minimum 3.7 GPA
Pi Alpha Alpha membership requires the completion of an application form and the payment of a one-time fee of $50. Contact Ms. Laura Fung-Ross at firstname.lastname@example.org for more details.
Benefits of Pi Alpha Alpha membership:
- Qualification for a federal pay grade increase due to Superior Academic Achievement
- Lifetime membership in Pi Alpha Alpha along with a Certificate of Affiliation and Graduation Regalia (medallions and honor cords)
- Opportunities to receive research, conference, and travel funding from GSA, SGA, CSO
- Exclusive participation in networking events and community engagement projects
- Access to special Pi Alpha Alpha scholarships and awards through NASPAA
- Leadership development and expand your understanding of public affairs
Gina Scutelnicu Todoran, Ph.D.
Faculty Advisor, Pi Alpha Alpha Pace University Chapter
Coordinator, Pi Alpha Alpha Pace University Awards Ceremony