The English + Filmmaking Summer Program at Pace University's English Language Institute is a 2-week course that gives international students the opportunity to improve their English skills and learn about filmmaking on Pace University's beautiful Pleasantville campus!
In this unique and enriching experience, students will not only delve into the art of filmmaking but also refine your English vocabulary, pronunciation, and enunciation through engaging acting and directing exercises. Additionally, you will hone their grammar and writing skills through script crafting and storytelling.
- Master Expressive Communication: Develop the ability to organize thoughts clearly and concisely, both in written and spoken form.
- Craft Compelling Scripts: Learn and apply the writing process to create captivating scripts.
- Enhance Language Precision: Employ effective editing strategies to refine content and language, ensuring a polished final product.
- Deliver Impactful Presentations: Showcase well-structured, rehearsed or impromptu presentations with confidence and poise.
- Perfect Intonation and Pronunciation: Attain proficiency in English intonation and pronunciation, ensuring effective communication.
- Master Film Production Tools: Utilize professional cameras, audio and lighting equipment, and video editing software to understand the holistic filmmaking process.
- Develop Creative Problem-Solving: Cultivate skills to transform ideas into compelling final cinematic pieces, showcasing creativity and resourcefulness.
- Critical Analysis through Film: Study and analyze video examples, enriching vocabulary and understanding filmmaking techniques.
- Hands-On Film Production: Engage in the entire filmmaking journey - from pre-production to principal photography and post-production - and create an original, impactful short film.
Classes meet Monday to Friday from 9:00 a.m.–5:00 p.m., with a 1-hour break for lunch. In the mornings, students will work on creating their short films with faculty from the Pace University Media Department. In the afternoons, English Language Institute instructors will help students with the language components of their film/media projects.
Students must also complete a 2-hour pre-course assignment which will be sent to them prior to the start of the course.
Join us and unlock your potential in both the English language and the language of film!
The minimum English proficiency to be successful in the English + Filmmaking Summer Program is CEFR B1, TOEFL score of 55, or IELTS score of 5.5.
You will receive an email with instructions on how to complete your placement exam as soon as your application has been submitted. Some students may also be asked to schedule an additional advising session with a member of our academic team. Check your email for instructions from the English Language Institute!
Note: If you do not receive an email with your placement exam instructions, please check your spam folder or contact the ELI at firstname.lastname@example.org.
This course meets from July 15–26, 2024; Monday to Friday, 9:00 a.m.–5:00 p.m.
2-hour pre-arrival online self-guided study to be completed from July 8–12.
Application deadline: June 17, 2024
Tuition and Fees
The tuition for the intensive 72-hour English + Filmmaking Summer Program is $2,100.00.
The English Language Institute offers special Community Pricing for au pairs, Permanent Residents, U.S. Citizens, and asylum seekers on Humanitarian Parole currently living in the United States.
International students need an F1 visa in order to participate in the English + Filmmaking course. Permanent Residents and U.S. Citizens may also participate.
University Residence Halls
All students 18 years or older are eligible to stay in Pace University residence halls on the Pleasantville campus.
- Shared Room (Suite): $1,176.00 (for 2 weeks), meals not included
- Shared Room (double occupancy): $1,036.00 (for 2 weeks), meals not included
- Move-in date: One day before the program begins (Sunday)
- Move-out date: One day after the program ends (Saturday by 11:00 a.m.)
Campus Meal Plan (optional)
- $348.00 for two weeks (Monday–Friday)
- 3 meals per day (breakfast, lunch, dinner)
For more information, please contact the English Language Institute at the Pleasantville (Westchester) campus.
Virtual Information Session
Meet with the Director of Enrollment Management for the English Language Institute to learn more about the 2-week Summer School programs.