All Gender Housing
In keeping with the mission of Pace University to promote and support inclusion, the Office of Residential Life and University Housing Operations offers All Gender Housing options to students who desire housing placement that is based on a more inclusive definition of gender and gender identity.
All gender housing provides students with the opportunity to be placed in housing in an environment that is welcoming to all gender identities. Students who seek an all gender assignment should consider the following guidelines when deciding whether or not to engage in All Gender Housing:
- In order to participate in All Gender Housing, all participating students must be guaranteed housing, meeting all deadlines for the housing deposit, the housing application, and all other requirements (whether they are new or returning resident students).
- Searching and matching with roommate/suitemate/housemate pairs/groups must be done by the roommate matching process due dates, as communicated in the housing application instructions (roommate matching process dates differ for new and returning students).
- Pace University discourages students of any sexual orientation who are in a relationship from living together in a residence hall housing unit, although we do not question the student’s motives for wanting to live in an All Gender housing option. Pace University does not have or offer accommodations for family housing.
- If a roommate(s), suitemate(s) or housemate(s) cancels their housing or moves out of the room/suite/house for any reason, the remaining roommate(s)/suitemate(s)/housemate(s) must identify a new roommate(s) to fill the vacancy. The Housing Operations Staff reserves the right to reassign remaining students to a smaller room.
- If a conflict rises to the level that one or more students must move out, the residents agree to determine who will move. If the residents cannot agree who will move, the Director of University Housing Operations (or designee) reserves the right to make that decision, and may choose to move all residents. Residents in the room must agree to allow the director (or designee) to make the final decision.
- It is the student’s choice to communicate with parents or family members about the decision to live in an All Gender Housing option. The Office of Residential Life encourages this conversation between parents or family members and students about the housing choice so that they can be in support of the student’s decision.
- As with all housing assignment preferences, while we work to create the opportunity for students to select their room with the individual(s) of their choice whenever possible, All Gender Housing cannot be guaranteed, particularly in cases where roommate/suitemate matching is left to the Housing Staff. The matching and assignment process cannot always account for the range of variables involved. In cases where students are seeking an All Gender Housing assignment but it is not initially granted, the student should contact the Housing Operations staff to seek continued assistance in securing a housing assignment that best meets their needs.
- Our ability to make All Gender Housing assignments is greatly diminished when working to place students from the Waitlist into Guaranteed Housing. Once the process of moving students to guaranteed housing begins, the initial priority must be finding space as quickly as possible, which may not initially allow for an All Gender Housing assignment.
Students, whether they are new incoming students or students returning to housing, may participate in All Gender Housing by indicating in their housing application that they seek an ALL GENDER roommate/suitemate matching process. This indication, along with the additional required questions related to roommate matching, will allow the student to be placed in All Gender Housing in one of two ways:
- First, when a student indicates that they seek an ALL GENDER roommate/suitemate matching process, they will be included in the the ALL GENDER roommate search and selection process. During this process (which has a specific starting date and end date; please refer to the timeline provided by Housing Operations after you submit your application), students may search for roommates according to a range of criteria. This is the only process through which students may select their own roommates, and it is the process through which roommate/suitemate matches are made on the largest range of criteria.
- Secondly, students who indicate that they seek an ALL GENDER roommate/suitemate matching process but who do NOT search for (or match with) one or more roommates through the matching process will still be assigned to roommates, by the Housing Operations Staff, based on this indication, along with the additional required questions related to roommate matching. It should be noted that while Housing Operations will seek to make the best matches possible from within the pool of students seeking ALL GENDER housing, students have much more agency if they search for and match with roommates on their own.