Students who are interested in movies, music, books, graphic design, and other forms of media. Students in this community will look at popular media and how it affects our culture and society.
Students who participate in Pop Culture and Media initiatives will:
- Critically examine how pop culture trends impact society
- Explore career opportunities in the media and communications professions
- Understand the skills needed to have a successful career in media and communications
- Speaker series with topics about media and perception of the certain groups in contemporary media
- Discussion of class offerings that relate to communications, pop-culture and media
- Movie, music and other media viewings and participation
- Trip to a live taping of a TV Show
POP-CULTURE AND MEDIA TESTIMONIALS
ATHENA GRESCHLER '20
The Pop Culture and Media FIG lounge was always packed. Someone was always there whether they were watching a movie, playing video games or debating about celebrities, news and other hot topics that were flourishing through social media. As a Communications Major I think it’s important to be surrounded by those who are just as excited about media as I am. Being a part of this FIG allowed me to network with these people who have become my neighbors, friends and classmates.
JOANNE NEVARES-CARDOSO '19
Being a part of the Pop Culture and Media FIG really helped me expand my friendships and interests. Although I am a business major, I do hold a lot of interest in how media affects my current culture and society. The events held in this FIG were very educational and fun!
SHANNON GAMBLE-MCWHITE '18
At first, I didn't think a FIG would make a difference. To me, it just made sense to choose Pop Culture and Media because I'm a communications major. However, I realized how the FIG played a huge role in my freshman year here at Pace. My FIG actually gave me a head-start in taking a class about media. A preview of the class was presented right in the lobby. I'm glad to say I'll be taking the class next semester. My FIG made it possible for me to meet other students who have similar career interests as me. It also allowed me to meet people who have other interests that I have, such as music, movies, and television shows. This made it a lot easier for me to make all these great friends that I have made this semester.