Early Childhood Extension Certification
New York City
Extend Your Certification
New York State certified teachers in Childhood 1–6 can get the Early Childhood Extension by completing two early childhood development courses and passing the CST Multi-Subject: Teachers of Early Childhood (Birth–Grade 2) exams (211/212/245). Apply for this extension through your individual pathway.
Be Ahead of the Class
- Get hired. Our strong partnerships with local school districts mean that our students are getting hired before they even graduate.
- Our coursework integrates key knowledge and dispositions necessary to teach in today’s modern classrooms, using technology to address the specific needs of all learners, including students with disabilities and culturally and linguistically diverse students.
- We are a proud member of the Association for Advancing Quality in Educator Preparation (AAQEP), an accreditation organization for educator preparation programs that promotes the preparation of effective educators by way of innovative, outcomes-focused programs that engage education’s toughest challenges, directly and in context
Take Courses Like…
Intended for childhood teachers with initial certification, this 6-credit program enables teachers to extend their certification with coursework that focuses specifically on the developmental needs of early childhood students.
- ED 706 Creating Responsive Early Childhood Environments
- ED 712 Developmentally Appropriate Early Childhood Assessment Practices
- ED 655A Early Literacy Development in Culturally and Linguistically Diverse Settings
Choose Your Career
This extension only gives you General Certification at the Early Childhood level. Students who are New York State certified teachers in Childhood 1–6 can get the Early Childhood Extension by completing two Early Childhood development courses with a B- or above and passing the CST Multi-Subject: Teachers of Early Childhood (Birth–Grade 2) exams (211/212/245).
Where Graduates are Employed
NYC Department of Education, Putnam, Rockland, and Westchester Public School Districts
of our graduates are employed
Highest Paid Education Early Childhood Graduates (Source:College Factual)
Special Education Job Placement (Source: Intelligent.com)