Teaching English as a New Language, MSEd
New York City
Empower Multicultural Students
In New York State, there is a high demand for teachers who are dually certified and prepared to teach English language learners (ELLs), as the number of students who are both multilingual and multicultural continues to grow. Get ahead of the competition with a master of science in education (MSEd) in Teaching English as a New Language (ENL), which prepares certified teachers to differentiate instruction and teach ELLs in grades Pre K–12.
Prepare for Today’s Globalized Classroom
- Because of our commitment to fostering international collaboration and preparing globally minded teachers, we are one of the only education schools in the region to offer faculty-led, international courses that provide our teacher candidates a hands-on learning experience in Italy and Ecuador.
- Get hired. Our strong partnerships with local school districts mean that our students are getting hired before they even graduate.
- Our coursework integrates key knowledge and dispositions necessary to teach in today’s modern classrooms, using technology to address the specific needs of all learners, including students with disabilities and culturally and linguistically diverse students.
TAKE COURSES LIKE…
This 30-credit program provides a focused exploration of the theory, research, and methods for teaching English Language Learners (ELLs). Receive specialized study in multilingual language, and literacy development, differentiated instruction, and culturally responsive-sustaining pedagogy approaches.
- ED 551 Foundations of Bilingual Education
- ED 650 Research/Theory in Developing Literacy
- ED 557 Linguistics and Grammar for Language Teachers
ADD OPPORTUNITIES AND EXPERIENCES
Fieldwork and practicum can conveniently take place in the school setting, where you will work. There are a variety of electives to choose from, depending on your personal interest. You can also choose from our faculty-led abroad courses in Italy or Ecuador as one of the required TESOL courses.
CHOOSE YOUR CAREER
Once you successfully complete the program and meet the requirements, you will become certified to teach ESOL (English Speakers of Other Languages) in Pre-K–12 settings. The School of Education has a high placement rate with partner schools for graduates in this field.
of our graduates are employed or continuing their education (Source: Pace University Career Services)
highest paid education graduates in the US (Source: College Factual)
highest paid special education graduates in the US (Source: Grad Reports)