Teaching Performing Arts Theatre, MST
New York City
Inspire students to find their voice
If the theatre arts (dance, theatre, music) is your passion and the stage energizes you, take that next step and bring it to the classroom. Learn to use music, dance, and the theatre arts for children’s personal and creative expression as well as for disciplinary-based learning. In New York state, the job market is consistent as the performing arts are a required subject area for high school graduation, requiring performing arts teachers in all school districts. This 34-credit program can be completed in under two years and meets all NYS Education Department’s requirements to become certified to teach Theatre Arts to Pre-K-grade 12.
Why Choose This MST Program at Pace
- Get hired. Our strong partnerships with local school districts mean our students are getting hired before they even graduate.
- Our coursework integrates key knowledge and outlooks necessary to teach in today’s modern classrooms, using technology to address the specific needs of all learners, including students with disabilities and culturally and linguistically diverse students.
- We are a proud member of the Association for Advancing Quality in Educator Preparation (AAQEP), an accreditation organization that holds our programs to the highest standard of teacher preparation and effectiveness.
Teaching Performing Arts Coursework
Immerse yourself in coursework with clinically rich field experience in theory and methods for teaching the performing arts in PreK-12 school settings. Study ways PreK-12 children can create, perform and respond to the performing arts with their social and cultural communities and school curricula. Inclusive classroom practices are learned so that all children, regardless of their abilities, will obtain personal satisfaction and appreciation for the performing arts through self-expression and learning.
- EDG 606 Learning Environments
- EDG 621P Seminar in Inclusive Arts Education, PreK-12
- EDG 629P Student Teaching in Inclusive Arts Classrooms, PreK-12
Experiential Learning and Opportunities
Take experiential learning to a new level in Zanzibar, Tanzania! With faculty-led course Devising Theatre for Social Change, you will learn to use theatre-based techniques as tools for social change in international communities.
Performing Arts Teaching Careers
This program will prepare you to take on the many roles in the realm of performing arts, including performing arts teacher.
Where Are Pace Graduates Employed?
School of Education graduates are employed by NYC Department of Education, Westchester and Long Island School Districts, and more!
of our graduates are employed
Highest Paid Education Graduates (Source: College Factual)
new music drama and art teaching jobs filled by 2029 (Recruiter.com)