Pace mandates that students going abroad for a semester (or academic year program) purchase a Pace-arranged international travel insurance plan to cover them for the duration of their study abroad program. The cost of coverage is added to their Pace student account in accordance with the *duration of coverage.
- Pace has selected a uniform policy through Chubb that's specifically designed for students abroad, which provides adequate levels of insurance for students worldwide as well as emergency assistance.
- The policy provides emergency medical coverage, remote mental health counseling services, security and emergency medical evacuation, lost or delayed luggage, and more.
- Here is a full description of the International Travel Insurance policy (PDF), which outlines your coverage and provides instructions on how to access the AXA 24/7 Travel Assistance portal and download the mobile app. Here is a quick snapshot of the benefits (PDF).
- *The coverage period is determined by Pace and includes the dates of the semester program abroad (from the first day of orientation abroad through the last day of exams at the host institution). The dates of coverage are indicated on the students' insurance "Travel Certification", which is issued by the insurance carrier (Chubb).
- Once you’re enrolled by Pace in the coverage plan, you’ll receive an email 2-3 weeks prior to departure, from email@example.com - with your insurance ID card, dates of coverage, and summary of insurance coverage for your program abroad.
- The international travel insurance policy is only valid while they are outside of the USA; the policy terminates upon return to the USA. For Pace's international students who study abroad, insurance coverage is valid until the student returns to their home country or the USA. (See *coverage period validity information above.)
- Once abroad, students should call the AXA 24/7 Travel Assistance Services number at +1 (855) 327-1425 before seeking medical assistance, because AXA will help locate a qualified health care provider, make appointments, and pay for services abroad - making it a cashless process for students (rather than seeking reimbursement after the fact).
- Note: Although some students may participate on a study abroad program in a country that mandates that the student purchase an in-country national plan, such plans do not cover students when traveling to other countries and do not include important features such as emergency evacuation. Some of Pace's partner programs abroad may require additional insurance policies purchased by the student.
Under the Pace-provided AY2021-22 international emergency insurance, the cost of COVID testing is not covered if considered preventative, routine, or elective. It is only covered if ordered by a doctor as part of course of treatment experiencing COVID symptoms. It also does not include any costs associated with quarantine due to COVID-19. No insurance will cover the threat or fear of COVID to trigger evacuation, cancellation, or trip interruption benefits. As such, we recommend the students purchase Cancel for Any Reason (CFAR) insurance for any prepaid, non-refundable trip costs (e.g. study abroad program fees, airfare, quarantine expenses for forced quarantine due to positive COVID test). Read more about what is and isn't covered related to COVID-19 (PDF)
Students participating on Pace Faculty-Led Programs will have international travel insurance included in the relevant Program Fee for the duration of the program abroad.