Student exploring his surroundings while studying abroad.

Quick Links

Eligibility and Choosing A Program


Faculty-Led Programs FAQ

Costs, Financial Aid and Scholarships

Preparing For Study Abroad (Pre-Departure)

After My Program Abroad

Why should I study abroad?

There are so many benefits to participating in study abroad! You’ll earn credit towards your degree while having a unique experience in a foreign culture. Combining strong academics and real-world experiences, study abroad helps make students more market-ready upon graduation. Whether you participate on a faculty-led course abroad or live and study like a local for a semester or year, you’ll gain experiential learning and insights. Study abroad positively impacts...

  • critical thinking
  • cross-cultural communications skills
  • intercultural awareness
  • academic performance
  • language learning
  • professional development

By studying abroad, you’ll problem solve, develop a deeper global outlook and tolerance for ambiguity, and collaborate with people with diverse backgrounds – paramount for today’s graduates. Financially, the cost of a semester abroad could be the same as a semester at Pace, and it may even cost less (depending on the program you chose); there are also many scholarships available. And don’t worry about FOMO; while you may miss out on some events back home, you’ll be experiencing a whole world of adventures and gain new interests, experiences, and friends. Read more about the value of study abroad.

Back To Top

Eligibility and Choosing a Program

What are the requirements to study abroad?

Pace students must have a 2.5 GPA, have completed their first year at Pace by the start of their program, be 18 years of age prior to the program start date, and have a clear disciplinary record. Some programs require a higher GPA or junior academic status. First years are only eligible to study abroad on select faculty-led study abroad programs and the First-Year Experience London semester program. Transfer students are eligible to study abroad after completing one full semester (Fall or Spring) on campus at Pace.

Can I study abroad as a Pace international student?

Yes. As an international student at Pace, you can study abroad on a faculty-led, short term, or semester program. International students must coordinate with both the Pace Education Abroad office and the International Students and Scholars office regarding visa requirements and entry/exit restrictions. Read more about maintaining your F1 status.

How do I decide where to go?

Deciding where to go can be challenging! Pace offers dozens of semester programs and numerous Faculty-Led Programs (short programs abroad led by Pace Faculty). Our advice is to start with some self-reflection and research. Then you can make informed decisions based on the following considerations: length of the program; location; costs (including the cost of living in your chosen destination); academic offerings; how independent you wish to be; and cultural differences. Consider both your needs and wants from the program: what do you hope to gain from the experience that you can’t gain at Pace – academically, personally, and in your future professional life? There are also language considerations; for almost all of Pace’s study abroad programs, students only need to know English for the academic part... but outside the classroom, some may want to learn and speak a new language. In addition, some of our foreign partner schools are preferred for students from specific Pace schools. Speak with one of our Study Abroad Advisors who can help guide you in your decision, and review our comparison of study abroad program types (PDF) offered at Pace to understand the differences.

What’s the difference between “exchange” and “partner” semester programs?

The difference between Exchange and Partner semester program options (PDF) is related to the amount of financial support a Pace student can receive.

  • Exchange programs: 100% of Pace scholarships and grants and Pace tuition remission applies. Pace has exchange agreements with overseas partner universities to exchange students in both directions (Pace students going abroad, and foreign students coming to Pace). Because students going on an exchange program receive 100% of Pace scholarships and grants, exchanges are the best option for students who receive considerable institutional aid. However, exchange spots are limited; if there are more applicants than exchange spots for a specific term, Pace will allocate the limited spots based on a number of criteria (GPA, year standing, whether the student has studied abroad previously, and other factors).
  • Partner programs: A limit of $12,500 of Pace scholarships and grants per semester. For example, if a student receives $15,000 of Pace scholarships and grants per semester, they will forfeit $2,500; this $2,500 cannot be carried over to the following semester. There is no cap in terms of available spots for students.
  • Review our comparison of all study abroad program types (PDF) offered at Pace to understand the differences.

When is the best time to study abroad?

You should meet with your Academic Advisor to discuss the timing and length of your study abroad experience and how to fit it into your academic plan at Pace. (Not sure who your Academic Advisor is? email: You can study abroad as early as the summer after your first year! However, the most common times to study abroad are sophomore and junior years.

How many times can I study abroad?

Pace study abroad offers both short-term and long-term programs. We encourage students to spend no more than 2 semesters abroad, to ensure they stay on track to graduate on time. Participation in semester-long “Partner Programs” is limited to a maximum of 2 semesters (per Pace’s Financial Aid policy). With short-term study abroad programs (i.e., Pace Faculty-Led programs or summer programs), there is no limit as to how many programs a student can participate on. The requirements of your Pace degree program must be taken into consideration when trying to decide which duration is best for you; speak with your Pace Academic Advisor for guidance. (Not sure who your Academic Advisor is? email:

Can I study abroad during my final semester at Pace?

Pace's Education Abroad Office strongly recommends that students do not do a study abroad semester during their final semester at Pace, for the following reasons:

  1. If you fail one of your classes abroad, you’ll need to take a summer course.
  2. You won’t receive your official diploma on time. You cannot officially graduate until your foreign credits are processed (which takes at least 3 months after you return from abroad).
  3. You may not be hired for a job without receiving your official diploma.
  4. You may miss commencement at Pace, due to the dates of the foreign university's academic calendar.

However, you can participate on one of Pace's many faculty-led programs! Seniors who participate in a faculty-led course in their final semester at Pace should consider that an outstanding grade (due to the timing of the overseas portion) may move their degree conferral to the next graduation period. You may still be able to “walk”, but your diploma may reflect the following graduation term.

Can Pace graduate students study abroad?

Yes. Grad students are welcome to participate on many of Pace’s faculty-led programs. Read more about which programs offer grad sections. Some schools (i.e., CHP) offer January and summer programs that are specifically designed for graduate students.

I want to study abroad, but my family is hesitant and wants to know more

We have resources on our website specifically for parents and family members who want to know more about study abroad – information that will help them stay informed and support their student as they navigate the study abroad experience. Parental involvement can positively influence and shape a successful cross-cultural experience!

What are the application process and deadlines for semester study abroad programs?

  • Watch this 2-minute “Beginner's Guide to Study Abroad” video that walks you through the process of semester study abroad at Pace
  • First step: you must complete an application via the online Pace Study Abroad application portal for your specific program on time, and you must meet that program's eligibility requirements. You may only apply to 1 program per term. For Partner Programs, you’ll be accepted as long as you meet the minimum requirements for that program. For Exchange Programs, you may select a second choice program in your application (in case you’re not accepted into your first choice).
  • Second step: once you are approved by Pace to study abroad, Pace Education Abroad will send you instructions for completing the foreign university/provider application. You must complete the application and be admitted into the program by them. At this point, both Pace and the foreign institution/provider consider you committed to the program.
  • You will also need to confirm your participation via the online Study Abroad application portal. (You’ll receive a reminder from Pace Education Abroad to do this approximately 2 weeks after the application deadline.)
  • During the registration period at Pace (November for Spring, April for Fall), Education Abroad will send all study abroad students a course code. Please register with that code as you would for your normal Pace classes. This 15-credit general code will confirm to Pace Financial Aid and the Registrar that you are enrolled to study abroad as a Pace student during the semester abroad. If the number of credits that students take while abroad changes (no longer matching the 15-credit CRN code), the Pace Registrar will update the number of credits when processing the student's transcript, after studying abroad.
  • Finally, you’ll be asked to register for classes at the foreign university and make housing arrangements.

The deadline for Fall semester programs is either February 15 or March 15 (depending on the program). The deadline for Spring semester programs is either September 20 or October 15 (depending on the program). Review all study abroad program application deadlines here.

What if I decide NOT to do a semester study abroad after I have been accepted?

The Pace Education Abroad Office and the host university/provider must be notified via email if you decide to withdraw from a program, as soon as possible. Students are responsible for reading and understanding the cancellation/withdrawal policies and deadlines of the program they are withdrawing from. If a student does not follow stated cancellation/withdrawal deadlines, they risk losing program fees, housing fees, and possibly partial/full tuition for the term.

Back To Top


What courses can I take abroad? How many?

In general, you can take courses specific to your major, minor, or general elective courses. Pace Education Abroad recommends that you take courses required by your Pace degree if you don't want to fall behind. You must obtain approval from Pace Department Chairs to take courses abroad; courses taken without approval may not be applied to your Pace degree. (Learn more about the process of obtaining course equivalencies.) Begin your planning early, so that you’ll have more flexibility in choosing your courses while overseas.

  • During a semester abroad, you may carry a course load of up to 18 U.S. credits per semester. However, we recommend that you take the standard 12-15 full-time U.S. credits in order to leave time to experience and adjust to the culture. A minimum of 12 U.S. credits is required during a semester abroad to maintain full-time status, defined as being enrolled in 12-18 U.S. credits per semester. Pace students must have full-time status to receive financial aid. If you are eligible for financial aid but enroll in fewer than 12 U.S. credits, you will lose your financial aid.
  • During each summer term abroad, the maximum enrollment is 8 U.S. credits. That means you may take 8 U.S. credits max during Pace Summer Session I and 8 U.S. credits max during Pace Summer Session II. Students are not permitted to take courses at Pace (in-person or online) during the same Pace Summer Session in which they are studying abroad.
  • Students MUST take at least half their major and minor requirements on campus at Pace University (not abroad).
  • You may NOT take the following Pace courses abroad for credit: AOK1/CE, LC, and WE. For Lubin students, you may NOT take MGT 226/490, MAR 221/222/345/445/499, BUS 255, ACC 300 and above, and for-credit internships. For Honors students, you may NOT take ENG 201.
  • You may NOT take a course abroad that you already took, passed, and got credit for from Pace.
  • You must take all courses abroad for a grade; you may NOT take a class abroad P/F or audit.

What happens to my study abroad credits and Pace GPA?

You must take all courses abroad for a letter grade; you may NOT take a class abroad Pass/Fail or audit. Credits earned at a foreign institution will be applied to your Pace degree as Pass/Fail, provided you have obtained the proper pre-approvals (course equivalencies).

  • A "Pass" is considered a D letter grade or higher.
  • A "Fail" is a D- or lower letter grade. A "Fail" will be denoted as unsatisfactory and you will not receive academic credit for the failed course.
    • Note: only for the Pace Performing Arts' IPE program at IAB Sitges, Spain: a "Pass" is considered a C- or higher; PPA students must retake the class if they get a D+ letter grade or lower.
  • Students' Pace cumulative GPA is never affected by study abroad, regardless of whether foreign courses are passed or failed.

How will I get credit for studying abroad? (course equivalencies)

Courses that you take abroad must be converted (through the student’s actions) into Pace academic credits. Learn more about the process of obtaining course equivalencies. Students going abroad on semester or summer programs are required to attend an Abroad 102 info session, which walks you through the process.

How do I register for my semester classes abroad?

During the registration period at Pace (November for Spring, April for Fall), Education Abroad will send all study abroad students a course code (CRN). You must register with that code as you would for your normal Pace classes. This 15-credit general code will confirm to Pace Financial Aid and the Office of the Registrar that you are enrolled to study abroad as a Pace student during the subsequent semester. Reach out to your foreign university for instructions on how to register for their classes and deadlines.

Do my study abroad grades matter?

Yes. If you're planning to attend graduate school after you finish your undergraduate degree at Pace, you should request an official transcript from your school abroad. Although the courses will show up as Pass/Fail on your Pace transcript, the actual grades will be a part of the foreign transcript. To request a transcript from the foreign university, visit the school's website and follow their procedure for requesting a transcript. You can order the transcript sent to you or to the graduate school directly, but if you have it sent to yourself be sure not to open the envelope containing the transcript, as this will render the transcript no longer official. When ordering a transcript from abroad, order 1 or 2 extra to keep on hand in case you need them in the future!

Back To Top

Faculty-Led Programs Faq

What are faculty-led study abroad programs?

Faculty-led study abroad programs are Pace courses taught by Pace professors that feature a study abroad component. They are linked to credit-bearing semester courses with a short-term overseas program that takes place during January, spring break, or summer. Faculty-led programs offer an extraordinary opportunity for experiential learning abroad with Pace faculty and fellow classmates. The travel portion varies in length from 1-3 weeks. Learn more about Pace faculty-led study abroad programs.

What are the advantages of doing a faculty-led program?

Participating in a faculty-led course abroad is a special opportunity to take your learning outside of the classroom with an experienced Pace professor, and travel together with Pace classmates. The overseas portion of the course takes place during January, spring break, or summer, so you won’t miss out on anything back on campus during the semester. Financially, the shorter program is a more affordable study abroad option; there’s no additional tuition cost and there are scholarships available to help cover the program fee for the travel component. Learn more about Pace faculty-led study abroad programs.

What do I pay for a faculty-led program?

Because Pace faculty-led courses are for credit, you’ll pay your usual Pace tuition for the semester. In addition to Pace tuition, students pay:

  • 1. Program Fee for the overseas component, which covers the cost of housing, some meals, group transportation abroad, field trips, and group activities for the overseas portion.
  • 2. $100 Study Abroad Fee

Out-of-pocket expenses (airfare to/from the program location, visa, some meals, etc.) are not included in the Program Fee and are the responsibility of the student. You can view an estimated Budget Sheet for your program under the Costs/Scholarships tab of the program page on the Study Abroad application portal. The costs outlined are an approximation, as costs varies depending on your personal spending habits and individual needs. See here for scholarships. Learn more about Pace faculty-led study abroad programs.

What faculty-led programs are offered?

More than 25 faculty-led courses are offered annually, to nearly 25 countries! See here for a list of current (and past) program offerings, organized and led by Pace faculty.

Back To Top

Costs, Financial Aid and Scholarships

How much does study abroad cost?

The cost of study abroad semester programs varies – depending on the cost of living and currency exchange rates in various countries. Review our comparison of the 4 study abroad program types (PDF) offered at Pace to understand the financial differences. For semester and academic year programs, students will pay their normal Pace tuition to Pace. Generally, programs in developing countries are less expensive than those in developed countries (in terms of housing and cost of living). Pace tuition and program fees, housing and meals, international and local transportation, travel and excursions, cultural activities, visas, and personal expenses are all components of the cost of study abroad. All study abroad programs carry a $100 Study Abroad Fee, billed to the student's account at Pace.

Budget Sheet: Each study abroad program’s brochure page has a “budget sheet”. This budgeting resource outlines the *estimated costs associated with your chosen study abroad program – both academic and non-academic – including housing, food, flights, visa, and more. (*Actual figures may vary and individual expenses may differ.) For questions regarding applicable financial aid, reach out to Pace Financial Aid by printing a copy of the budget sheet and attaching it to your email to The budget sheet is on the “Costs” tab of your programs’ Terra Dotta brochure page.

Costs associated with Pace Faculty-Led Programs: In addition to Pace tuition, students pay (1) a Program Fee for the overseas component and (2) a $100 Study Abroad Fee. A $500 non-refundable deposit is required to secure participation on a Faculty-Led Program and be registered in the course by Education Abroad. The Program Fee and the $100 Study Abroad Fee are billed to the student's account upon course registration. The $500 deposit will appear as a credit towards the Program Fee on the student’s account. Out-of-pocket expenses (airfare, visas, some meals, etc.) are not included in the Program Fee and are the responsibility of the student. If a Faculty-Led course is cancelled by Pace (i.e., due to under-enrollment or COVID-19 concerns), the $100 study abroad fee, $500 deposit, and any Program Fee paid will be returned to students.

How does housing work?

Housing options vary for each semester abroad program. Some foreign schools offer on-campus dorms where you may stay with other international students and/or students from the host country. Other schools give guidance on off-campus residencies or apartments. In a few cases, you may be required to live in the housing option designated by the program.

For semester programs, housing abroad is arranged by – and paid by – the student directly to the host institution abroad. Housing is an additional cost, and costs vary widely depending on the semester program you chose. In most cases, the cost of housing is less than the cost of housing at Pace. Pace Financial Aid does NOT directly go towards any housing arrangements you have while abroad. If you get a Financial Aid Refund from Pace, you may be able to use this money to pay for housing abroad; however, you’ll need to check with your foreign institution to see if they can wait to receive your refund (approximately 2 weeks after the start of your semester abroad).

On Pace faculty-led programs, housing is included in the Program Fee.

What financial aid can I use for study abroad?

Program costs and financial aid vary by program. You may be able to apply your federal and NY State (TAP) financial aid or Pace institutional grants and scholarships, depending on the program you choose. In order to be eligible for any financial aid during your term abroad, you must be enrolled as a full-time student abroad. Full-time status is a minimum of 12 credits per semester and 6 credits during the summer. Learn more about financial aid and study abroad. See the breakdown of financial aid differences by program type below:

Semester Abroad

Pace Exchange
Pace Tuition and Fees, including a $100 Study Abroad Fee, are billed to the student's Pace account. Housing is the responsibility of the student and is paid by the student directly to the host institution abroad. Out-of-pocket expenses (airfare, meals, local transportation, etc.) are the responsibility of the student. Federal, NY State, and institutional (Pace scholarships/grants) financial aid apply during the semester abroad. Pace tuition remission applies.

Pace Partner
Pace tuition and fees, including a $100 Study Abroad Fee, are billed to the student's Pace account. Housing is the responsibility of the student and is paid by the student directly to the host institution abroad. Out-of-pocket expenses (airfare, meals, local transportation, etc.) are the responsibility of the student. All federal and NY State financial aid apply during the semester abroad. Up to $12,500 of institutional financial aid (Pace scholarships/grants) applies to the semester abroad; portability of Pace institutional aid is limited to 2 semesters. Pace tuition remission does not apply.

Alternate Programs
Inquire with the Pace Education Abroad staff about billing and financial aid portability for semester abroad programs that fall outside of the Pace Exchange and Pace Partner programs.

Faculty-Led Programs

Each Faculty-Led course has a specific Program Fee (for the overseas component), which is in addition to the normal Pace tuition for the course. A $500 non-refundable deposit is paid to Pace through the student's Study Abroad application portal. If additional assistance with financing the costs associated with the faculty-led course is needed, families may apply for a Federal Parent PLUS loan; students may apply for an Alternative Bank loan.

Summer and January Term Programs

  • A $100 Study Abroad Fee is billed to the Pace student account.
  • All program fees (tuition and fees, room and board) are paid by the student directly to the host institution abroad.
  • Out-of-pocket expenses (airfare, visas, local transportation, etc.) are the responsibility of the student.

What scholarships are there for study abroad?

There are scholarships for study abroad specific to Pace students. There are also scholarships based on where you are studying abroad and what you are studying abroad. Some programs offer scholarships for academically outstanding students. Private foundations/organizations provide aid to students, but you need to do research to find them. Plan your study abroad early, since the scholarship application process takes time. Read our Scholarships page for more information on more than 50 scholarships.

How do I manage finances while studying abroad?

In addition to using your program's "Budget Sheet" provided by Pace, which outlines estimated expenses, it’s important to manage your money while abroad and budget accordingly. These links provide tips:

Back To Top

Preparing For Study Abroad (Pre-Departure)

How do I get (or renew) a passport?

For U.S. citizens, information on applying for a new passport (or renewing) can be found on the U.S. State Department website. Your passport should be valid for at least 6 months beyond your study abroad program's end date. The U.S. State Department processes passports in 10-12 weeks. Allow plenty of time for processing, and plan well in advance – especially since you will likely also need to obtain a visa to study abroad with your new passport, which could take several additional weeks.

Do I need a visa to study abroad?

Depending on your host country abroad, your citizenship, and the length of your program, you may be required to obtain a visa. A visa is an official document issued by a foreign country permitting you into the country. It is your responsibility to research what is needed and obtain any required visa(s) for travel abroad. International students at Pace who want to study abroad should consult with Pace International Students and Scholars to ensure that you will maintain your F-1 status.

Do I need international health insurance?

Students going on semester, January, and Summer study abroad programs need to purchase mandatory international travel insurance for the academic term abroad, which is arranged through Pace. Students participating on Pace's faculty-led programs are covered by insurance for the duration of their short-term program abroad. Read more about Health and Safety while studying abroad.

If you are a U.S. citizen, please register for the U.S. Department of State’s Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP). You'll receive the most current information about the country where you'll be traveling/living. You will also receive updates, including Travel Advisories.

What about COVID-19?

Pace students may study abroad in Academic Year 2023-24 to almost all destinations where we have vetted partners. Though Pace no longer requires students to be COVID-vaccine compliant, we strongly recommend that Pace students who want to study abroad be vaccinated against COVID-19 before they leave the U.S., since laws may be different abroad.

  • Though the U.S. Government and The World Health Organization ended the global emergency status for COVID-19, we recommend that you read about how study abroad may be affected by COVID-19 to understand the health and financial risks involved with studying abroad.
  • Pace University no longer requires that students be COVID-19 compliant. However, Pace recommends that students continue to follow CDC guidelines for vaccination, which recommend that everyone be up to date with flu shots and COVID-19 vaccines including booster doses.
  • Study Abroad students should research to see if there are any remaining COVID-19 regulations for entry into their chosen host country abroad (and other countries they wish to travel to), by checking the Centers for Disease Control (CDC), U.S. State Department travel advisories, and other resources
  • If you are doing a homestay or an internship with vulnerable populations during study abroad, you may also need to be COVID-19 compliant.

What is culture shock?

Once you are overseas, you may experience some cultural challenges adjusting to your new host country. This is a normal reaction to living in a new environment. The process of recognizing, understanding, and adapting to the differences you will encounter is called culture shock. Culture shock consists of different phases: honeymoon (initial euphoria), negotiation, adjustment (gradual understanding), and adaptation. To lessen the culture shock you may feel, try to learn as much about your host country as possible before heading abroad. There are many resources to help you understand what you may go through and provide you with advice on how to cope, such as this one: Adjustments and Culture Shock

Back To Top

After My Program Abroad

Where should my study abroad transcript be sent?

Your host university abroad should send your transcript (both digitally and by mail) to Pace Education Abroad, at In most cases, the overseas institution will do this automatically. (In some cases, you may need to reach out to the school directly to request this.) Once Pace Education Abroad receives your transcript, we’ll email you to let you know. Be sure you don’t have any outstanding financial balances due to the foreign institution (e.g., with housing) which will prevent the issuance of your transcript.

Please also be aware that it is your responsibility to have any non-English language transcripts translated into English via one of the below professional methods, and it is your responsibility to pay for that translation service. Here is the list of approved translation services from the Pace Office of the Registrar:

When will I see my study abroad credits posted to Degree Works?

In order for the Pace Registrar to process your study abroad credits, you must first complete the Course Equivalency Form process as outlined in the Abroad 102 info session and on this Course Credit While Studying Abroad page detailing step-by-step instructions. You must upload all of your completed Course Equivalency Forms to the 'Documents' section of your online Study Abroad Application. Then, let Education Abroad know when you have done so by emailing

Pace Education Abroad must also have received your transcript from your overseas host institution/program (typically 1-3 months after your program has ended). Pace Education Abroad will then forward your foreign transcript and Course Equivalency Forms to The Registrar for processing and conversion of your foreign credits. The Registrar will update your Pace transcript based on the completed/signed Course Equivalency Forms you submitted. Please allow up to 12 weeks for the Registrar to process. Remember: The Registrar will NOT be able to process your transcript until all your Course Equivalency Forms have been uploaded for all your classes taken abroad.

What is reverse culture shock?

Just as you probably experienced some degree of cultural adjustment upon arrival to your host country overseas, you will likely experience some form of reverse culture shock upon your return. It can look different for each individual, affecting some people to a greater extent than others or coming in waves over days, weeks, or months. Some common challenges of reverse cultural adjustment are feeling boredom; finding it hard to explain your study abroad experience; not feeling like others want to hear about your experiences or that they don't understand you; reverse homesickness for your study abroad country; realizing personal relationships have changed; or feeling alienated. Your view of the United States or your home culture may have changed while gaining a new perspective abroad, and it could take some time to readjust to your life back home. Some tips to manage this readjustment include:

  • Talk with people who understand your situation - like the Pace Education Abroad office staff or fellow classmates who have also studied abroad (Pace's Study Abroad Club)
  • Connect with international students at Pace who are studying abroad in New York
  • Incorporate parts of your life or the culture from abroad back at home
  • Turn your photos and memories into a scrapbook - you'll want to capture the memories while they are still fresh
  • Create space to intentionally reconnect with family and friends - and ask them what is new with them!
  • Keep a journal to record your reactions about being home and identify coping strategies
  • Keep an open mind, the same way you did when you went abroad
  • Identify what you are looking forward to when returning home
  • Share your story - save a few photo highlights on your phone ready to show people; prepare specific adjectives beyond "awesome, fun, challenging" to describe your experience; have a few example stories of why it was "awesome, fun, challenging"
    • Understand that others have a different, less involved relationship to your study abroad experience than you and therefore, may not be as interested in hearing about every detail of your adventures and accomplishments as you will be in sharing those experiences. Instead, think ahead about a short answer; medium answer; and long answer to the standard "How was it?" question.
  • Give yourself a break! It takes time to readjust.

There are many online resources that help students better understand reverse culture shock. If you would like to seek out professional help, contact the Pace Counseling Center.

How do I put my study abroad experience on my resume?

Outline the academic components of your studies abroad on your resume: the courses you took, presentations you gave, and projects you worked on. But study abroad is more than just learning in a classroom overseas. It's what happens in your daily life abroad, your explorations and cultural encounters, where the most personal growth occurs. These "soft skills" that you'll strengthen during study abroad — intercultural fluency, critical thinking/problem-solving, flexibility, adaptability, resilience, initiative, cross-cultural communication, working in global teams, self-awareness — are what today's employers are looking for! Put these words on your resume and in your cover letters, if they apply to you. There is a rising demand from employers for global-ready graduates. Be sure to highlight the diversity of your experiences abroad, that you willingly went out of your comfort zone, and the fact that you succeeded in navigating a new culture, currency, transportation system, language, etc. Include real examples of how you've demonstrated these soft skills in your cover letter, and how you overcame specific challenges abroad. In addition, you can leverage the new friends and contacts you made abroad to network for jobs. For help translating your experience abroad into your future career, visit Career Services at Pace. There are also many online resources to guide students in turning their study abroad into a resume builder.

Back To Top