Student exploring his surroundings while studying abroad.


Pace University provides qualified students the option to study in a variety of approved international destinations during their degree. This opportunity is extended to Pace students in all academic majors (subject to the availability of existing programs), and with the approval of their academic unit. All Pace-sanctioned study abroad endeavors – including study, spring break, and/or any other international programs representing Pace University – must adhere to these policies and procedures.

Students who want to study abroad must first apply to Pace Education Abroad and complete the application process through the study abroad "Terra Dotta" portal, including submission of all forms, documents, and legal releases.

Pace Education Abroad will ensure consistency in the handling of issues related to quality assurance, risk management, institutional and employees’ liability, and personal safety of the students. It will also ensure compliance with the Family Educational Right to Privacy Act (FERPA), Health Insurance Portability & Accountability Act of 1996 (HIPAA), and The Forum on Education Abroad Standards of Good Practice and Code of Ethics.

Study Abroad Eligibility

  • Student must be currently enrolled at Pace, in good standing related to disciplinary and academic records, and be 18 years of age prior to the program start date. These requirements must be met during the time of study abroad program application, which occurs one semester prior to the term abroad.
  • Requirement per study abroad program type:
    • Semester/Year: completion of 1 full academic year prior to the term abroad (exception: transfer students need only complete 1 semester at Pace prior to the term abroad)
    • Short-term (summer or January): completion of 1 full academic year prior to the term abroad
    • Faculty-Led: dependent on the program
  • GPA requirements vary per study abroad program type. Some overseas host institutions or 3rd-party provider programs require a higher GPA. These GPA requirements must be met at the time of application and also at the time the program starts; additional requirements may be specified by the program sponsor.
    • Semester/Summer Abroad: 2.5 minimum cumulative GPA. Some international programs and/or partner institutions require a higher GPA.
    • Faculty-Led: 2.5 minimum cumulative GPA. Some programs require a higher GPA.
  • Sponsored International Students must obtain written authorization from their corporate or government sponsor, if any, prior to applying for study abroad. They must also consult with a Pace international student advisor regarding their U.S. immigration requirements. International students will be responsible for any entry visas required by the study abroad program's country.
  • Maximum number of study abroad terms:
    • Semester Abroad on Partner program: Limited to 1 academic year or 2 semesters for undergraduates. Graduate students must consult with their Academic Advisor as to whether a semester abroad will fit their degree requirements; a short-term program may be a better option.
    • Semester Abroad on Exchange program: The maximum for undergraduate and graduate students will be determined by the student’s academic department. Graduate students must consult with their Academic Advisor as to whether a semester abroad will fit their degree requirements; a short-term program may be a better option.
    • Short-Term (Summer or January): The maximum for undergraduate and graduate students will be determined by the student’s academic department.
    • Faculty-Led: The maximum for undergraduate and graduate students will be determined by the student’s academic department.
  • Students under Academic or Disciplinary Sanctions
    • A student who is on academic or disciplinary probation or does not meet academic continuation requirements may not be permitted to study abroad during the period the sanction is in effect, regardless of the student's acceptance in a program. Upon submission of a study abroad application, Education Abroad will conduct a check of a student's academic and disciplinary record to determine eligibility for study abroad. Students may not apply to study abroad while suspended from Pace.
  • Students are required to sign a release of disciplinary and academic honesty records and a Statement of Responsibility & Release from Liability Agreement. Per FERPA, the University reserves the right to contact a parent(s)/spouse or family members on issues of health, safety, or security.
  • Students traveling or studying abroad in university-sanctioned programs remain under the jurisdiction of Pace policies, rules, and regulations found in the Code of Conduct and in the Pace Student Handbook. They are also under the jurisdiction of the codes of conduct of the partner institution or provider, and they are responsible for following, as well as the laws of the country where they are studying abroad. Program participation may be terminated for violations of either policy with the subsequent loss of credits and of tuition payment, and possible disciplinary action upon the return to campus.
    • Failure to comply with any policies – whether outlined by Pace University or the overseas host university/3rd party program provider – may result in dismissal from the Study Abroad Program, and could lead to disciplinary action when the student returns to Pace campus.
  • Any student seeking to appeal a decision regarding their eligibility to participate in a Pace study abroad program should address the appeal in writing to the Director of Education Abroad.

Back To Top


  • Pace Education Abroad offers various programs in numerous destinations around the world: faculty-led courses, summer or January programs, and semester programs.
  • Pace academic credits for study abroad will only be awarded to students who: (1) have applied and been accepted to study abroad by Pace Education Abroad; (2) have completed the Pace course equivalency process; and (3) for whom Education Abroad has received an official transcript from the host institution abroad.
  • Students may petition to participate in programs not listed by Pace Education Abroad, when the listed programs do not meet the student’s academic and career goals the way an alternative program would. Petitions for specialty programs suited to the student’s major, or graduate school plans, as well as for study in countries not served by the above programs, will be considered. Petitions for programs in locations or countries where Pace has existing programs will only be considered for exceptional reasons.
  • Course selection:
    • All courses a student takes abroad must be approved by an Academic Advisor, so students should select their courses in consultation with their Academic Advisor.
    • When a student takes a course abroad that is not in Pace's pre-approved course database for that program, students must submit a Course Equivalency Form signed by the applicable Department Chair(s) for each course. Courses approved as substantially equivalent to Pace’s will satisfy the same curriculum requirements as the Pace course satisfies. Courses for which there is no Pace equivalent, but which are deemed appropriate or desirable to enhance the student’s educational goals or specialization major, must have the approval of the relevant Department Chair and Academic Advisor. Students should seek approval for more courses than they are intending to take prior to departing campus in order to minimize problems with changing classes while abroad. Students will not receive academic credit for classes that do not have a signed Course Equivalency Form, regardless of whether they have completed the courses.
    • Courses that students may NOT take abroad (for which they would not get Pace approval/credit for them): AOK1 (Civic Engagement), Learning Community, and Writing Enhanced
    • Students may not take more than half of their major and minor credit requirements during study abroad.
    • Students may not take any course abroad for which they have not yet satisfied the Pace prerequisites.
    • Students may not take any course abroad for which they have already taken, passed, and received credit.
    • Students choosing to drop/add courses while abroad must obtain new approval from the relevant Department Chair and Academic Advisor, in writing/via email. Students must notify Pace Education Abroad in writing regarding proposed course substitutions or changes.
    • All courses taken abroad must be taken for a grade – not for Pass/Fail or Audit. Academic credit for work completed overseas will appear on the Pace University transcript. In place of a letter grade, the designation “P” (Pass) will be assigned for all courses for which the student received the equivalent of a U.S. letter grade of “D” or higher. Grades below a “D” will be assigned the designation “U” (Unsatisfactory). However, the grades earned in the courses will not count in the Pace GPA. Unsatisfactory grades earned and Withdrawals do count towards Satisfactory Academic Progress.
  • Students participating in a semester abroad must enroll in a minimum equivalent of 12 Pace credit hours for undergraduate students. While studying abroad, students must maintain a full-time course load each term. Failure to keep full-time status may result in cancellation of their term abroad with the subsequent loss of academic credits, tuition payment and repayment of federal or other financial aid.
  • Grade appeals regarding study abroad courses will be considered in accordance with the procedures of the overseas host institution or the provider.

Back To Top

Financial Policy

Financial Aid & Scholarships

  • Pace Education Abroad is committed to identifying affordable study abroad options and has adopted policies and practices that ensure a semester abroad will not substantially exceed the costs of a semester on campus. Pace students studying abroad for a semester on approved programs will continue to be registered on campus and pay Pace tuition and fees, which will be applied towards payment of study abroad program tuition. Students studying on a short-term program (not categorized as a Pace Faculty-Led program) will pay all costs associated with the program directly to the program provider or host partner institution abroad.
    • Students studying abroad for a semester or an academic year with a Pace-approved program will retain 100% of their federal and NY state financial aid. Students can use up to $12,500 of their Pace institutional aid for Pace-approved Partner program providers whose academic program fees total 50% or less of Pace’s semester tuition (Pace Partner Programs). Students' tuition payments are due in accordance with the Student Accounts Office’s standard semester deadlines.
    • EXCEPTION to Financial Aid and Scholarships (1.a.): higher cost programs that are not Pace-sanctioned programs will be considered for destinations requiring an extra level of support to ensure student health and safety and mitigate institutional risk. Students will be required to provide an academic rationale for the use of these programs and ensure there are no alternatives, and follow the protocol set forth by Education Abroad. If approved, students will be able to apply up to $12,500 of their Pace institutional aid (provided Pace has an existing direct billing agreement with the program provider/foreign institution). Such exceptions will be limited to no more than 10% of the total participating Pace semester abroad population annually.
    • Students participating in one of Pace’s Exchange semester programs retain all of their federal and NY state financial aid and 100% of their Pace institutional aid (note that the Resident Scholar Tuition Award does not apply). Room/board/student fees, apart from those related to Pace tuition and fees, are paid directly to the Exchange partner, unless otherwise noted. [Tuition exchange and tuition remission apply to all Pace Exchange programs, given the student applies and has been accepted to the Exchange program.]
  • This financial policy applies only to pre-approved Pace Education Abroad Programs. Students are not able to apply Pace institutional aid in support of non-approved programs. All Study Abroad programs are approved through Pace Education Abroad.
  • Pace scholarships that require performance or service on Pace campus – such as Athletics, Graduate Teaching Assistantships, and Recognition awards – may not apply to study abroad.
  • Pace Education Abroad will provide the estimated costs of airfare, room and board, and special course fees for the semester abroad to Pace's Office of Financial Aid. Students going abroad will receive their Financial Aid Award Letter reflecting the cost of attendance on the usual schedule, provided they are registered for the semester abroad placeholder.

Tuition & Costs

  • Students participating in Pace’s pre-approved education abroad programs for a semester or a year will pay the regular Pace tuition – regardless of the foreign institution/provider tuition cost, unless the institution’s tuition is higher than Pace’s. Pace will pay directly for the cost of foreign tuition to the maximum of Pace's on-campus tuition. If another school’s tuition is higher than Pace’s, the student will be charged at the higher rate.
  • Students are also responsible for all other study abroad-related costs, including but not limited to: study abroad application fees, airfare, room and board at the study abroad location, optional tours, damage deposits, student activity or facilities fees, excursions, entertainment, books, ground transportation, and personal expenses – unless otherwise specified by the negotiated billing agreement between Pace and the program provider/foreign institution.
  • All students applying to study abroad must pay a $100 Pace Study Abroad Fee (in addition to any application fees required by the study abroad program provider or host institution abroad). This $100 fee is attached to study abroad registration and will be charged when tuition is charged for the semester. This is an administrative fee that covers costs associated with study abroad, including the licensing of the online application platform used by Pace Education and a graduation sash displaying the flag of the country where the student studied abroad.
  • Students on semester and short programs (non-faculty-led) are required to purchase international emergency insurance that has been secured by Pace University. While Pace enrolls students in the insurance coverage according to the dates of the program, the cost for the insurance is passed along to students directly on their Pace student account.
  • Exchanges are special relationships between Pace and selected host universities abroad, intended to promote international cooperation and enrich both campus cultures. Participating Pace students are responsible for paying semester tuition to Pace and paying the room/board and required fees to the host institution abroad. Pace Education Abroad maintains records to monitor the balance of exchange students with individual exchange institutions.
  • Tuition Exchange and Pace Tuition Remission
    • Exchange Programs: Tuition exchange and Pace tuition remission eligible students can participate in one of Pace’s Exchange programs and retain the normal use of the tuition exchange/remission benefit. Room/board and student fees, apart from those related to Pace tuition and fees, are paid directly to the Exchange partner abroad, unless otherwise noted.
    • Partner Semester Programs: Tuition exchange and Pace tuition remission benefits do not apply to Partner Programs. Students normally eligible to receive tuition exchange or Pace tuition remission benefits participating in a Partner Program will pay tuition and fees directly to the provider/foreign institution. In addition to tuition and fees, participating students are responsible for all related costs, including but not limited to application fees, airfare, room/board at the study abroad location, optional tours, damage deposits, student activity or facilities fees, excursions, entertainment, books, ground transportation, and personal expenses.
  • Refunds will be handled according to the terms outlined in Pace’s academic catalog. Students who voluntarily or involuntarily cancel or withdraw from their study abroad program will be subject to both Pace’s and the host organization/institution’s cancellation and withdrawal policies and penalties. Mid-semester withdrawals for any reason will require Pace to perform a recalculation of eligibility for financial aid under the mandated federal formula (Return of Title IV Aid Calculation). This calculation may not be appealed.
  • Unpaid balances due to foreign institutions and transcripts: Students must pay all bills incurred abroad with Pace’s overseas host institution partners (such as with housing arranged through the partner and additional fees, etc.) in order for students to receive their foreign transcript. Pace will not be able to process students’ foreign credits without the receipt of the official transcript from the study abroad partner (foreign institution/program provider). Delay in the receipt of the foreign transcript will impact future course registration at Pace and potentially delay graduation. A transcript hold may also be placed on the student’s Pace account until the bill is paid.

Faculty-Led Programs

  • In addition to Pace tuition, students pay (1) a Program Fee for the overseas component, and (2) a $100 Study Abroad Fee, for participation on a Faculty-Led program. A $500 non-refundable deposit – payable to Pace Education Abroad, via Terra Dotta (Pace's study abroad portal) – is required to secure participation on a Faculty-Led Program and be registered in the course by Education Abroad. The Program Fee and the $100 Study Abroad Fee are billed to the student's account upon course registration. The $500 deposit will appear as a credit towards the Program Fee on the student’s Pace University account. Out-of-pocket expenses (airfare, visa, some meals, etc.) are not included in the Program Fee and are the responsibility of the student. Students are subject to Pace University's Tuition Cancellation Policy.
    • In the case of student cancellation of participation:
      • If a student wishes to cancel their participation in a Faculty-Led Program, they must drop the course via the Pace Portal and notify Education Abroad (in writing) before the end of the Drop/Add period.
      • If a student withdraws from a Faculty-Led course after the Drop/Add period, they are subject to Pace University academic guidelines.
      • Any refunds of Study Abroad program fees are considered on a case-by-case basis, and if confirmed would only be made available after program completion. The $500 deposit and $100 study abroad fee are non-refundable.
    • In the case of Pace's cancellation of the Faculty-led course:
      • If a faculty-led course is cancelled by Pace due to under-enrollment, students will be notified by Pace Education Abroad, and the $500 deposit, $100 Study Abroad fee, and any of the remaining Program Fee that has been paid will be returned to students’ Pace account. If there are outstanding fees on a student’s Pace account, the funds returned to the student may automatically be applied to pay the balance.

Back To Top

International Travel Considerations post-COVID

Pace University approves study abroad in U.S. Department of State (DoS) Travel Advisory Level 1-2 countries. Study abroad should always be carefully considered by Pace students - in consultation with students' parents/family, and their doctor. Students should review the governmental and health resources that Pace Education Abroad shares with them, in order to make a well-informed decision about travel and the assumption of risks. Education Abroad consults with Pace’s Leadership and Risk Management Teams and our academic partners abroad regarding risks, and we review sources such as the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) warning levels, the World Health Organization (WHO) advice, our insurance carrier’s country risk reports, the Forum on Education Abroad, and OSAC.

Pace students may study abroad in all destinations where we have vetted partners. Though Pace no longer requires students to be COVID-vaccine compliant, we strongly recommend that Pace students who want to study abroad be vaccinated against COVID-19 before they leave the U.S., since laws may be different abroad.

  • Though the U.S. Government and The World Health Organization ended the global emergency status for COVID-19, there are additional health and financial risks involved with studying and traveling abroad in regard to illness (COVID-19 or otherwise) - see below.
  • Pace University no longer requires that students be COVID-19 compliant. However, Pace recommends that students continue to follow CDC guidelines for vaccination, which recommend that everyone be up to date with flu shots and COVID-19 vaccines including booster doses.
  • Study Abroad students should research to see if there are any remaining COVID-19 regulations for entry into their chosen host country abroad (and other countries they wish to travel to), by checking the Centers for Disease Control (CDC), U.S. State Department travel advisories, and other resources
  • If you are doing a homestay or an internship with vulnerable populations during study abroad, you may also need to be COVID-19 compliant.
  • Country-specific COVID-19 regulations and protocols:
    • Pace students are expected to adhere to any COVID-19 guidelines, rules, regulations, and codes of conduct in effect at both (1) their host country abroad, and (2) Pace’s partner institution abroad (or third-party provider program) where the student will be studying. Each program is bound by law to follow the health requirements of its host country, region, and/or city.
    • Students should learn about how the country/program has responded to COVID-19 (e.g., testing availability, quarantines, and treatment facilities).
    • Students should review their host country’s Ministry of Foreign Affairs and/or Embassy website for entry requirements.
    • Insurance: Pace mandates that students going abroad for a semester purchase Pace-arranged international travel insurance to cover them for the duration of their study abroad program. Insurance does not cover costs associated with quarantine due to COVID-19, nor does it offer any coverage should a student be set to go abroad and the foreign border closes which prohibits their travel.
    • Vaccine: Though no longer required by Pace, we strongly recommend that anyone going abroad be COVID-compliant before they leave the U.S.
    • Health risks: Pace students must be aware of their personal medical needs and risk tolerance, and understand that Pace University has no control over the healthcare environment and infrastructure within host countries abroad. It is the student's responsibility to understand how to receive treatment for COVID-related symptoms or any other illness within their host country, supported by the host institution's/program staff abroad.
    • Financial risks: Pace students proceed with their plans to study abroad with the understanding that they do so at their own risk. Any financial losses incurred related to COVID-19 or other illnesses (such as delayed travel) will not be reimbursed by Pace. Pace recommends that students purchase refundable/changeable airline tickets, trip cancellation insurance, and "Cancel For Any Reason" (CFAR) coverage, since any illness could prevent or delay travel abroad.
    • Pre-departure orientation: All students are required to attend a Pace Education Abroad's pre-departure orientation prior to study abroad in order to understand the health and safety risks - and their role in mitigating risk. They are also required to attend any on-site orientations provided by the host institution abroad.
    • Students must acknowledge that they are voluntarily participating in this off-campus activity and that study abroad requires an acceptance of a high level of uncertainty.
    • The safety and security of Pace students will always be our top priority. Contact us at to talk with a Study Abroad Advisor about your plans for study abroad.

Find out what level your desired destination falls under in regard to a U.S. Department of State travel advisory.

Back To Top

International Travel Insurance

Pace University students participating on semester abroad, January, and Summer programs are required to purchase an international travel insurance policy designated by Pace, which covers them during their program abroad The coverage begins on the first day of the program and ends on the last day of the program. Pace has selected a uniform policy that provides adequate levels of insurance for students worldwide. Some study abroad programs abroad may require additional insurance policies. Many national plans (required by the host country) do not cover students when traveling to other countries, and they do not include important features such as emergency evacuation. This international travel insurance is only valid while students are outside their home country (for U.S. residents, this means no coverage in the USA). The policy terminates upon return to the USA. If a student returns to the USA during the study abroad program, this insurance coverage will not apply during that period. For Pace's international students who study abroad, insurance coverage is valid until the student returns to their home country or the USA. (See *coverage period validity information above.) Students participating on Pace Faculty-Led Programs will have international travel insurance included in the relevant Program Fee for the duration of the program abroad.

Back To Top

Home School Tuition Model

Pace University follows a Home School Tuition model (used by most private universities) where students are charged Pace tuition for study abroad on Partner programs. This allows students to retain 100% of their federal and NY state financial aid and remain eligible for up to $12,500 in Pace institutional aid (per semester). Pace students studying abroad for a semester on approved programs will continue to be registered on campus (with a study abroad course number), and they pay Pace tuition and fees that are applied towards payment of study abroad program tuition. Credits for courses taken abroad come back as Pace credits (assuming they have followed Pace protocol), while those who study on non-approved programs must petition for transfer credit on a case-by-case basis. As part of the Home School Tuition model, Pace students also have access to Pace Education Abroad, advising, and other Pace support services before, during, and after their time abroad.

Pace endeavors to maintain a standard for access for study abroad participation. The use of a flat tuition rate for all study abroad programs balances the variability of higher and lower-priced programs, allowing students to make a decision on what program is best (independent of economics). The Home School Tuition model also integrates study abroad into the educational process and standards of the university.

Should students wish to take a leave of absence from Pace and do a study abroad semester, they may do so. Since this is an independent action outside of the University, Pace Education Abroad does not assist with this process. Pace institutional aid cannot be applied during a leave of absence, and federal aid may or may not be applied (depending on the overseas institution). Students will then need to apply directly to the foreign university; seek course approval through the transfer credit process; and pay the program fee (and all financials) directly to the institution abroad following all of the overseas host institution’s policies and protocols. If a student is interested in taking a leave of absence to do a study abroad program, they will also need to determine if they can apply as an independent student. For some programs, the overseas host institution requires a statement from Pace University confirming that the student is enrolled at Pace.

Back To Top