Student exploring his surroundings while studying abroad.


The Education Abroad office is committed to supporting veteran students who wish to participate in a study abroad experience. Whether short term, semester, or Pace faculty-led programs, we'll work with you to find a program that best fits your academic, personal, and professional goals.

How does it work?

If you're interested in using your VA benefits to assist in payment of a study abroad program, you must plan ahead. You'll need to work closely with your Pace Veteran Student Advisor (and Pace Education Abroad) to find the program that fits the requirements of the VA, your financial benefits from the VA, and your study abroad goals. You will also need to reach out to the School Certifying Official at the host institution abroad to see what their particular policy is regarding VA benefits since the host school is the one doing the certification.

In most cases, the VA will cover tuition costs only. Other study abroad-related fees (such as housing, flights, and personal expenses) will not be covered. If you are approved by the VA to participate on a study abroad program, the federal government will normally pay Pace’s foreign partner institution offering the courses directly (though there are exceptions).

Your VA Certifying Official (at the host institution abroad) must assist you in determining what, if any, the VA can cover.

In general, there are several conditions that must be met:

  • Faculty-Led Programs:
  • Semester or Summer Programs:
    • You must select a VA-approved foreign institution.
    • If studying abroad in the Spring semester or full academic year, students must check to ensure that VA benefits will cover them for the duration of the program abroad
    • Students attend the foreign institution using a Parent/Guest Letter
    • Students enroll as visiting students at the foreign university
    • You must be enrolled in courses that apply to your degree program.
    • The courses at the "host" school abroad must be approved.
    • Note: The VA cannot pay any fees specific to studying abroad unless the student is required to study abroad as part of their degree.
    • BAH: please note the monthly BAH rate on a study abroad will be based on the monthly international rate of $1,789 (which is less than at Pace New York City and Pleasantville).
    • Students cannot study abroad through third-party study abroad providers, i.e., CEA, TEAN, SIT.

What's next?

If you're a veteran (or dependent of a veteran) and you're interested in studying abroad, the first step is to attend an Abroad 101 session - offered through Education Abroad.

You can also search for study abroad programs.

Contact Information

Email the Education Abroad Office:

For assistance with Veteran Benefits, contact:

Pace Veteran Services