Student exploring his surroundings while studying abroad.

Passport and Visas


All students need a passport that is valid for at least 6 months after the end date of the study abroad program. If you don't have a valid passport, apply for or renew your passport as soon as possible. A passport is required for both departure from and re-entry to the United States. Visit the U.S. Department of State website for more information on obtaining a passport. Keep your passport in a safe place and do not carry it with you on a daily basis; carry a photocopy instead.


There are different types of visa requirements - depending on your destination, your country of origin, purpose of travel, length of stay, etc. Most long-term study abroad programs (i.e., semester) require a visa. You must contact the embassy or consulate of your host country to inquire about specific visa requirements.Visas may take months to be issued, so you must allow ample time for this. Remember no visa = no study abroad program!

International students or students without U.S. citizenship MUST contact Pace's International Students & Scholars to inquire about participation in a study abroad experience. Failure to do so may result in denial of re-entry to the USA! Students should also contact the appropriate host country embassy or consulate to determine any special requirements as a result of the student’s country of residence.