Childhood Education and Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages (TESOL), MST
New York City
Mold Young Minds
The MST in Childhood Education and TESOL program prepares you to teach children in grades 1–6, in addition to becoming certified to teach English to Speakers of Other Languages. Through this program, you’ll gain valuable knowledge to successfully combine the teaching of both general education and specialized study of language development, as well as differentiated instruction methods to English language learners.
Be Ahead of the Class
- Because of our commitment to fostering international collaboration and preparing globally minded teachers, we are one of the only education schools in the region to offer faculty-led, international courses that provide our teacher candidates a hands-on learning experience in Italy and Ecuador.
- Get hired. Our strong partnerships with local school districts mean that our students are getting hired before they even graduate.
- Our coursework integrates key knowledge and dispositions necessary to teach in today’s modern classrooms, using technology to address the specific needs of all learners, including students with disabilities and culturally and linguistically diverse students.
TAKE COURSES LIKE…
Every candidate enrolled in our 48-credit program is challenged to reflect on their prior notions about schools, classrooms, teaching, and learning. Learn about the theories, strategies, and methods for teaching in a bilingual setting, apply sociolinguistic knowledge contexts and language development to instruction and experience a range of fieldwork experiences under the guidance of supervisors, faculty and mentor-teachers.
- ED 551 Foundations of Bilingual Education
- EDG 626 Literacy Methods for Diverse Populations (K-6)
- EDG 639 Society, Schools, and the Developing Child
ADD OPPORTUNITIES AND EXPERIENCES
Complete 100 hours of fieldwork that follows a clinically rich model, integrated with intensive coursework, in collaboration with partner schools. Student teaching will be completed in childhood classrooms, as well as practicum experience in bilingual education. Study abroad courses can be substituted for bilingual courses or core requirements with approval.
CHOOSE YOUR CAREER
Graduates who pass the New York State Certification Exams will become certified to teach Childhood grades 1–6 and TESOL Education in grades K–12. Career options include Childhood teachers who provide support to English Language Learners (ELL) in their classrooms or as English as a New Language (ENL) teachers.
WHERE GRADUATES ARE EMPLOYED
NYC Department of Education, Dutchess, Putnam, Rockland and Westchester School Districts
of our graduates are employed or continuing their education (Source: Pace University Career Services)
best education schools in the US (Source: College Factual)
special education job placement (Source: Intelligent.com)