Literacy and Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages (TESOL), MSEd
New York City
Harness Literacy and Language
Looking to expand upon your teaching acumen? The Literacy Specialist and TESOL (Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages) MSEd is a dual degree program for certified teachers who are seeking to enhance their careers. With a focus on instruction and literacy development, this program is ideal for teachers with linguistically and culturally diverse classrooms. The Literacy Specialist and TESOL MSEd connects language knowledge fundamentals with attention to cultural experiences for today’s globalized classroom.
Be Ahead of the Class
- Try travel. Because of our commitment to fostering international collaboration and preparing globally-minded teachers, we are one of the only teacher education schools in the region to offer faculty-led, international courses that provide our teacher candidates a hands-on learning experience in Italy and Ecuador.
- Get hired. Our strong partnerships with local school districts mean that our students are getting hired before they even graduate.
- Think global. Our coursework integrates key knowledge and dispositions necessary to teach in today’s modern classrooms, using technology to address the specific needs of all learners, including students with disabilities and culturally and linguistically-diverse students.
TAKE COURSES LIKE…
The Literacy and TESOL MSEd, modeled after the current Literacy MSEd and TESOL programs, integrates contemporary theory and practice in a variety of educational areas including language and literacy development, culturally responsive teaching, digital literacies, children and adolescent literature, as well as learning strategies for children who struggle to read or write.
- ED 551 Foundations of Bilingual Education
- ED 754 Literature and Digital Storytelling
- ED 559 Student Teaching or Practica for TESOL Candidates
ADD OPPORTUNITIES AND EXPERIENCES
Literacy and TESOL students complete substantial fieldwork and mentored experiences that surpass state requirements. Candidates can choose from our faculty-led abroad courses in Italy or Ecuador as one of their required TESOL courses.
CHOOSE YOUR CAREER
You will leave Pace with the knowledge and skills to lead and meet the changing educational needs of a diverse range of communities. Some career options include:
- K–12 ESOL Teachers and Literacy Specialists
- Literacy/TESOL Coaches who assist teachers in developing curriculum that better serve student’s cultural differences.
NYC Department of Education, Dutchess, Putnam, Rockland, and Westchester School Districts
of our graduates are employed or continuing their education (Source: Pace University Career Services)
best education schools in the US (Source: College Factual)
special education job placement (Source: Intelligent.com)