Adolescent and Adolescent Special Education, MST
New York City
Support Students With Learning Differences
With a dual certification program in both adolescent and special education, you will develop the skills needed to teach teens in grades 7–12 with and without learning differences and disabilities and subject area content—biology, chemistry, earth science, English, history/social studies, or mathematics. Graduates from this program will gain a rich understanding and in-depth knowledge of the practices to masterfully engage students of all learning abilities.
Be Ahead of the Class
- Get hired. Our strong partnerships with local school districts mean that our students are getting hired before they even graduate.
- Our coursework integrates key knowledge and dispositions necessary to teach in today’s modern classrooms, using technology to address the specific needs of all learners including students with disabilities and culturally and linguistically diverse students.
Take Courses Like…
This 39-credit program provides a focused exploration into the organization of schools, the different ways that students learn, and the adaptation of teaching methods to meet the needs of secondary students with and without disabilities in inclusive and self-contained settings.
- EDG 609 Language, Literacy, and Global Perspectives
- EDG 610 Curriculum and Methods in Inclusive Settings
- EDG 617 Inclusive Literacy Assessment and Instruction
Add Opportunities and Experiences
Pace University’s School of Education has developed unique partnerships with several school districts in Westchester and through Putnam Northern Westchester BOCES, where teacher candidates can complete their fall practicum fieldwork through paid internship positions. Students may continue at the partnership site in the spring to complete their formal student teaching requirements and then transition back to their paid internship position for the remainder of the semester.
Unlike other programs, at Pace, you’ll have the opportunity to complete your student teaching requirements for both certifications in just one semester. You’ll have an edge by gaining experience in a combined setting over as little as 17 weeks.
Choose Your Career
Completion of the MST in Adolescent and Adolescent Special Education will lead to the NYS Initial Certificate in adolescent education in a content area for grades 7–12, adolescent special education generalist, and an adolescent special education content area specialist.
Where Graduates are Employed
NYC Department of Education, Dutchess, Putnam, Rockland, and Westchester Public School Districts
of our graduates are employed
Highest Paid Education Graduates (Source: College Factual)
Special Education Job Placement (Source: Intelligent.com)