Adolescent Education, BS/Special Education, MSEd
New York City
Two Degrees + Two Certifications in Just Five Years!
Our combined degree program offers the opportunity to earn both a bachelor’s degree and a master’s degree, and a minimum of two teaching certificates in just five years. Make a seamless transition from undergraduate to graduate work in less time than students who begin the graduate program after earning a bachelor’s degree and satisfy the New York State requirement to teach in-state.
Be Ahead of the Class
- Embrace technology. You’ll have the opportunity to practice real teaching using our virtual reality classroom simulator. We are one of the only schools in the region with this technology.
- Our teachers enter the field with experience. From your sophomore year, you’ll participate in immersive fieldwork and student teaching experience that include tutoring and small group instruction.
- Get hired. We have such strong partnerships with local school districts that our students are getting hired before they even graduate!
TAKE COURSES LIKE…
In the combined degree program, the Bachelor of Science and Master of Science in Education are earned concurrently. In the fifth year of the program, you will work towards your graduate degree in Special Education and enhance your knowledge of disabilities to become a specialist in your school.
- TCH 201 Education I: Understanding Schools
- TCH 498 Supervised Student Teaching and Seminar
- ED 690 Teacher as Researcher
ADD OPPORTUNITIES AND EXPERIENCES
Because experience is key, starting in your junior year, you will participate in our Center for Professional Development (CPD) model where you will practice your teaching skills through the completion of your undergraduate program. Receive hands-on experience in schools one day a week in your junior year and between two and five days during your senior year. You’ll observe and tutor students, as well as provide small and eventually whole group instruction. Not only will you be able to apply what you are learning in the classroom, but also have the opportunity to explore different grade levels as you proceed through the program. As a CPD candidate, you have a unique opportunity to foster professional relationships with mentor teachers, students, and school staff, all in support of the diverse population of the students that you are serving.
CHOOSE YOUR CAREER
Choose your initial certification in adolescent education (grades 7–12). Then combine this path with the power of special education. Upon graduating from the program, you will become certified to teach adolescents in addition to teaching students with disabilities.
WHERE GRADUATES ARE EMPLOYED
NYC Department of Education, Putnam, Rockland, and Westchester Public School Districts.
of our graduates are employed or continuing their education (Source: Pace University Career Services)
secondary education master's degree schools in the US (Source: College Factual)
special education job placement (Source: Intelligent.com)