The Actors Studio Drama School at Pace University
The Best 25 Drama Schools for a Master of Fine Arts
The Hollywood Reporter named The Actors Studio Drama School among the best 25 drama schools for a master of fine arts in the world. Read about it here.
Actors Studio Drama School at Pace University
Master of Fine Arts in Acting, Directing and Playwriting
New York City
Unique Aspects of the Actors Studio Drama School:
- The Actors Studio Drama School is the only MFA program officially sanctioned and supervised by the legendary Actors Studio.
- It is the only school that offers the authenticity, continuity and authority of the Stanislavski System and the Method.
- The curriculum has been designed and supervised by the leadership of the Actors Studio, including the Presidents of the Actors Studio, Ellen Burstyn, Harvey Keitel and Al Pacino.
- Our faculty members include major figures at the Actors Studio, many of them Moderators, Board Members and Associate Artistic Directors of the Actors Studio.
- All students -- actors, directors, playwrights -- train side-by-side as actors.
- All students participate in the Craft Seminars known to the world as the Bravo Network television series “Inside the Actors Studio,” hosted by James Lipton.
- In Friday Workshops the MFA candidates are exposed to different elements of the theater, such as script analysis, design, stage combat, directing, and auditioning for plays, musicals, film and television.
- All MFA dance courses are taught by the famous and prestigious Alvin Ailey American Dance Theater at their uptown studios.
- All students participate in an Observership Program at the Actors Studio.
- All MFA black-box studios for professional training are designed and equipped according to state-of-the-art standards.
- Located at prominent and easily reached campus in downtown New York City.
Repertory Season and Industry Showcase:
- In their final year, all Actors Studio Drama School students present their work to the professional world and the public, in a fully-produced professional Repertory Season at a theater in downtown Manhattan.
- In addition, after the Repertory Season, our actors present their work to representatives from the theater, film and television industries in an Industry Showcase at the Actors Studio itself in midtown Manhattan.
- All students have the privilege, for one year, of the status of Working Finalist at the Actors Studio itself, which means they are eligible to attend weekly sessions and take a Final Audition for Studio Membership, bypassing the usual Preliminary Audition. Some of these students, if they successfully pass their Final Audition, will become Lifetime Members of the Actors Studio.
- All directing and playwriting students are invited, for at least one year, to be part of the Playwrights and Directors Workshop of the Actors Studio, a unit especially created for the continuation of the training of our directing and playwriting graduates.
Production photos courtesy of Scott Wynn